Talk

Advanced search

Apples, Apples and more bleedin Apples [grin]

(7 Posts)
Dynamicnanny Thu 31-Jul-08 15:36:08

We have an apple tree, it is full of apples hundreds of them - don't want to waste them so what can I do with them?

Thought I could make apple sauce or an apple and parsnip sauce for roast dinners but how do you keep it from going off?

love2sleep Thu 31-Jul-08 16:08:17

Freeze the sauce in lots of small pots/bags. It'll be like weaning all over again...

smile

bundle Thu 31-Jul-08 16:08:53

chutney?
cider ooh arrrrrrrrrrr

PrimulaVeris Thu 31-Jul-08 16:16:25

They shouldn't be ready to pick till October!

Any falling now more likey to give you tummy ache ...

Dynamicnanny Thu 31-Jul-08 16:37:37

Really Primula shock blush

It's heavily laden with apples and loads keep falling off and otting on the patio blush the ones high up seem ok to eat - have had a couple

PrimulaVeris Thu 31-Jul-08 16:42:22

Do you know which variety? Sounds v. unusual ... even the sweet varieties are usually very sharp if they fall at this time of year.

So long as your digestion is OK!

Cies Thu 31-Jul-08 16:49:27

If they are unbruised and unblemished, they will keep just as they are.

Store them in a cool, dry, dark place, spread out on straw or newspaper, and make sure they don't touch each other.

If you have any which are bruised or half eaten by some creepy crawly, peel them and discard any nasties. Then either slice and freeze in bags for future use in puddings and sauces, or make into stewed apple and then freeze.

V envy of you with apples so early. If you go out and look for early blackberries you might be able to have a blackberry and apple pie, my favourite! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now