Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone made taramasalata? Where did you get the smoked cod's roe?

(9 Posts)
Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 18-Feb-08 16:15:18

I tried to make some with non-smoked cod's roe and I'm not sure there was really much point hmm

Has anyone ever done it properly? Where did you get the roe - at a fishmonger's?

EffiePerine Mon 18-Feb-08 16:16:45

Do you have any Jewish grocers? I think you can get it at my local fishmongers, but I am in a Jewish area so that might skew things rather.

SofiaAmes Mon 18-Feb-08 16:18:03

A good fishmongers...you may have to call around to find it. Japanese use cod's roe too, so a japanese store will have it too (but I don't think it's smoked).

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 18-Feb-08 16:18:56

No, no Jewish community round here. Might a deli have it then? We do have some good delis.

vonsudenfed Mon 18-Feb-08 16:19:20

Mmmm yes, and it tastes so much better than the supermarket stuff. So worth finding a good fishmonger, and even asking them to order it for you.

vonsudenfed Mon 18-Feb-08 16:20:04

x post - and no, not in a deli. Does your local market have a good fish stall? They might get it for you.

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 18-Feb-08 16:21:12

Oh I never thought of getting them to order it - what a good idea. I do have a nice fishmonger and he would probably love to.

I'm getting tragically excited at the thought grin

foodlovers Tue 08-Jan-13 14:26:41

I have ordered both smoked cod roe and taramasalata from online shopping at Inverawe smokehouse... but also every now and then you can find taramasalata in the supermarkets and I have also seen some in a Spar shop, I do really like it and also get it at our local Greek restaurant as a starter wine

couldtryharder Tue 08-Jan-13 20:54:38

You can get it from Ocado, so that or Waitrose, but it's quite a big pack and I don't know if it or the resulting taramasalata freezes. I've been wanting to try and make some for ages - I'll go halves on it with you. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now