Talk

Advanced search

cooking, freezing and reheating

(7 Posts)
kbaby Sat 29-Sep-07 22:02:33

Help,

I am a useless cook but since having DC I do batch cook AK meals for them and freeze it so that its easier and quicker to warm up at dinner time. However I either want to start freezing some of our foods for them or cooking batches for all of us.
I dont know what foods I can freeze and reheat. Ive got various recipe books but it doesnt say what can be frozen. For example I cooked us pasta and bolognaise sauce this week can I freeze that?

What foods can I not freeze? so I know what im looking for.

I know I really am useless at this cooking lark.
Thanks

SoMuchToBits Sat 29-Sep-07 22:06:48

You can certainly freeze pasta and bolognaise sauce. Obviously not stuff like salad. But most cooked meals freeze well.

SuperMonkey Sat 29-Sep-07 22:07:24

I freeze pretty much anything apart from cooked pasta/rice/potato. The pasta sauce will be fine, just cook the pasta fresh each time. Potato can be frozen, the texture is just a little odd when it's reheated. Also, dairy products don't always come out well - I cooked a soup with milk in it which curdled when reheated. I'm not sure if there's a system to it or whether it's just trial and error!

Seona1973 Sat 29-Sep-07 22:59:41

pasta/rice/potato can all be frozen - ds has spag bol, cheesy pasta, rissotto, mashed potato, etc frozen for him if we have extras at mealtimes

fransmom Sat 29-Sep-07 23:03:01

i'm in the same boat as you kbabysmile

i don't know how to cool foods down properly before putting them inb fridge blush so i put the plate that it's on in a deeper cold water "bath" so that the cooler plate then cools the food down. is that ok? tia x

kbaby Sun 30-Sep-07 11:14:42

What if I made us say a curry with whispers jared sauce. Could I freeze that

kbaby Thu 04-Oct-07 21:39:24

Bump.

Anyone please. Daft question I know but it seems a waste to throw out the leftovers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now