Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for healthy light childrens meals

(9 Posts)
Scanner Sun 23-Sep-07 14:33:02

Since my ds and youngest of three started school a few weeks ago our tea-time meals have changed. He is hungry much earlier than before and regardless of having a snack when we get back from school by 4pm he wants to eat.

All three have school lunches and have decided that they don't want a big meal at the end of the day often asking for a sandwhich or soup. I think this is great, easier and cheaper for me, but I'm concerned that they're missing out on the veg they would have had before. I've been topping them up with fruit, but I wondered if anyone has any ideas.

Ds would happily eat a cheese sandwich every day and isn't great with veg, it's taken a good few years to get him to eat a limited range of carrots, cucumber and raw peppers (only if dipped in houmous).

The only soup I've managed to get them to eat is cream of tomato (which they love), but I don't know how healthy it is and because it comes in a tin, I suspect not.

So - really my question is, what else can I give them, that is light, but healthy in not too obvious a way or they'll reject it?

millie99 Sun 23-Sep-07 14:34:30

Omelettes,scrambled egg on toast any good?

Scanner Sun 23-Sep-07 14:39:10

oh yes, so obvious but the old brain doesn't appear to be working so well since I started work recently. Great idea - any more?

Scanner Sun 23-Sep-07 20:33:26

bump

tracyk Mon 24-Sep-07 12:49:17

beans on toast
little chicken fajitas
spag bol + baked potato
or you could add some blitzed chopped toms to the tinned soup - they'd never know.

SlightlyMadSweden Mon 24-Sep-07 12:51:26

Chilli with some jacket skins/jacket potatoes?

Jacket pots with cheese & beans/tuna?

Will they eat salad of any kind?

Anchovy Mon 24-Sep-07 12:59:15

Courgette omelette: grate a couple of courgettes and fry gently in olive oil (with lots of garlic, if you like - we do!). When cooked add beaten egg, swirl around and cook gently to set. Finish off under grill with some grated cheese on top.

Quick, cheap, nutritious, easy!

nappyaddict Mon 24-Sep-07 13:28:37

quesadillas
savoury pancakes
homemade pizza
omelette
pasta
scrambled/boiled/poached egg on toast
cheese on toast
homemade burgers
jacket potato
soup
mac cheese
kedgeree
fishcakes
fish pie

nappyaddict Mon 24-Sep-07 13:31:09

moussaka
shepherds pie
lasagne

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now