Talk

Advanced search

Oops! Is this a disaster or not?

(8 Posts)
ahagwearsapointySantahat Fri 20-Dec-19 08:14:13

I made this cake yesterday (while rather tired) for a kids' party:

addapinch.com/the-best-chocolate-cake-recipe-ever/

It seemed to work fine, but I realised this morning that I have NO memory of adding the 2 eggs blush and am fairly sure I didn't!

However - the cakes (2 layers) both rose and baked fine, look normal (except one came apart a tiny bit when I took it out of the tin, but can be stuck together with the buttercream I'm sure) and when we ate some of the stuck-to-the-tin bits they taste pretty much like normal and pretty OK, except maybe the texture is slightly different - a tiny bit drier/stickier than normal maybe?

So I'm wondering whether I can get away with it for the party, or need to start all over again! Any experience with this? Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
TheLovleyChebbyMcGee Fri 20-Dec-19 08:17:05

Yeah it'll be fine with enough butter cream, I thought the egg would only have added texture and moisture, sound yum!

Santasy Fri 20-Dec-19 08:20:59

The recipe does give an option for an egg free version where the eggs are replaced with Apple sauce so as above I would say your May be eggs/maybe not version will be perfect. Anyway, the buttercreamis the best part of the cake. Enjoy the party.

LizziesTwin Fri 20-Dec-19 08:22:20

Can you look in your food waste/compost heap for the eggshells?

WhereDoesThisToiletGo Fri 20-Dec-19 08:29:27

Doesn't sound too much like a disaster to me.
I was advised to always give disasters a name to imply "this is totally intentional which is why it doesn't taste /look like you expect".
Make it regional to add authenticity.
Over the years I have served Dorset Flat Cake, Catalan Salt Chicken and Kiwi Eton Mess (when the pavlova stuck to the baking sheet and broke into pieces)

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Fri 20-Dec-19 08:31:09

Dorset Flat Cake grin

ahagwearsapointySantahat Fri 20-Dec-19 09:05:51

Phew, sounds like maybe I can get away with it!

I have no shells and absolutely no memory of putting the eggs in, so am getting pretty certain they didn't go in - not quite sure how, as I checked the recipe several times to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything. I was definitely very tired though and already nearly messed up at the start, I was putting loads of butter in a saucepan and about to add chocolate and rather muzzily thinking "but I didn't buy chocolate! Why not?" before realising that was the start of making brownies, not chocolate cake which I was meant to be making! Luckily I hadn't done more than got a saucepan rather unnecessarily buttery... Might have to squeeze in a nap sometime today to avoid any more dopeyness!

Also I love your suggestions Toilet fgrinfgrin

OP’s posts: |
JoyceJames Fri 20-Dec-19 09:06:16

I made a sort of liquorice allsorts " summer fruit jam" with my woeful post bird infestation berry harvest.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »