Talk

Advanced search

Virtuous evening meals?

(6 Posts)
nibdedibble Thu 28-Nov-19 14:40:36

I quite often have trouble meal-planning in general, it's not where my imagination lies, and I end up falling back on pasta. If I leave it to DH it's meat in cream sauce with double cream and butter through a mountain of mash.

So what is your fall-back "I have had a healthy meal without thinking too hard about it"? No white carbs, loads of veg, not sausages. (Can you tell I'm trying to lose weight? grin)

Salmon fillet, 3 types of veg, brown rice...is all I can think of. Please help me make a longer list!

OP’s posts: |
mistydayswampwitch Thu 28-Nov-19 14:46:46

I do a lemon & garlic chicken tray bake. Chop up loads of veg - usually courgette, carrot, butternut squash, onions, leeks. You can use anything really. A drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika & a few garlic cloves both chopped and whole. I like a lot of garlic so sometimes add a bit of garlic powder too.
Marinate whole chicken breasts overnight in olive oil, garlic, the juice of a lemon, some chilli flakes and paprika (I sometimes forget this stand and just mix it all together and put it on the veg right away) . Shove it all on the top of the veg and roast until it's all done.
It's really easy and super tasty. I serve it with cous cous & broccoli but you could use brown rice too.
This is a staple in our house, we probably have it at least twice a week.

AtleastitsnotMonday Thu 28-Nov-19 15:05:03

Fritata. Perfect to use up loads of odds and ends of veg too and leftovers are good for lunch.
Paprika chicken and veg skewers
Chicken stirfry
Proper nicois with tuna steak
I batch cook both veggie chilli and curries so just need to reheat with some rice

nibdedibble Thu 28-Nov-19 16:29:14

Brilliant, thanks.
I've never done a traybake...weirdly! I see them all over social media but just haven't.

It's good having a couple more to put in my head. Batch-cooked is useful too, we often have chilli in the freezer.

OP’s posts: |
Blondie1984 Thu 28-Nov-19 23:55:25

Stirfry with chicken, prawns or lean steak

Salmon fillets topped with cream cheese & crushed Ryvitas, baked and served with new potatoes and tenderstem broccoli

Chicken breast wrapped in parma ham & baked - served with sweet potatoes and Mediterranean roast veg (also lovely with pork tenderloin)

Shepherds/cottage pie made with a 50/50 of lean mince and lentils and topped with mash that's made with a mix of potato and cauliflower/celeriac/swede....

Chickpea and veggie curry with rice

White fish fillets topped with harissa paste with quinoa and veg

Mrsmummy90 Fri 29-Nov-19 23:03:39

jambalaya goes down well in our house.
It's the Asda easy chorizo jambalaya recipe but I add in some chicken. Sooo simple to make.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »