Talk

Advanced search

Making your own bread everyday

(7 Posts)
Camomila Wed 09-Oct-19 16:50:11

One thing I really miss about living in Italy is fresh bread rolls everyday.

Does anyone make their own bread rolls regularly? I know bread makers exist but can you use them to make anything other than loaves?

Alternatively, does anyone have a favourite part-baked roll brand? They always taste 'yeasty' to me.

TIA smile

Gertrudesgarden Wed 09-Oct-19 16:55:59

I don't make every day, but I do make bread regularly in my Panasonic breadmaker. My one has multiple functions including a dough setting. I can then shove the dough in the oven after shaping it into rolls or whatever. Is that what you mean? It does all the kneading and rising, etc, and I then just shape and bake.

Camomila Wed 09-Oct-19 17:02:34

That sounds good gertrude I think I can manage shaping once it's done all the heavy work. Am off to investigate!

averylongtimeago Wed 09-Oct-19 17:06:17

I make almost all our bread- I used to use a bread maker for kneading and the first rise, but actually enjoy doing it myself- I find it therapeutic.

So- yes a bread maker will knead perfectly well, and will provide the correct temperature for a fairly quick rise. It is easy then to shape the dough ready to prove and bake.

Gertrudesgarden Wed 09-Oct-19 17:36:40

My favourite quick bread is soda bread, so no yeast at all. No rising, no hassle and takes about 5 mins to mix before shoving into the oven. I wasn't allowed yeast for a while and soda bread was the only thing that made it bearable.

AliceLittle Wed 09-Oct-19 21:26:13

We do a loaf every other day but there's only 2 of us. Using the bread maker, sometimes loaves and sometimes rolls. The machine does all the hard work and the dough just needs shaping and putting into oven.

Camomila Thu 10-Oct-19 09:45:32

The panasonics are out of my price range but I've seen a Russel Hobbs one on Amazon that has good reviews.
Will also attempt pizza dough and foccacia with it. I'm very excited!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »