Talk

Advanced search

Can you share your tomato pasta sauce recipes please?

(12 Posts)
Nextphonewontbesamsung Thu 15-Aug-19 17:55:13

I make this at least once a month and have been using more or less the same recipe/method for years.

Just wondered if I could tweak it a bit and ring the changes.

How do you make yours?

OP’s posts: |
JenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 15-Aug-19 19:17:23

I have to be honest, I am a lazy cook. So mine is fairly easy.
I dice a red onion and a couple of cloves of garlic and fry them. Then I add a jar of passata.
Gently simmer, but I also add a handful of chopped olives and capers.
Then depending on what I have I raid my fridge and will add some of the following, chopped artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, roasted peppers etc.... I will also add 2 anchovies as it gives it a kind of savoury taste and a spoonful of pesto.
Then I just let it simmer until the pasta is ready.

BertrandRussell Thu 15-Aug-19 19:20:12

The two tins of posh tomatoes, half a packet of butter and slow simmer for ages one is very good.

MiltonRoad Thu 15-Aug-19 19:20:55

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thekitchn.com/marcella-hazans-amazing-4ingre-144538%3famp=1

BertrandRussell Thu 15-Aug-19 19:22:04

Otherwise JenMumsnet’s. Except it is worth blitzing some celery and carrot to cook down with the onion.

BoomyBooms Thu 15-Aug-19 19:22:06

Stumbled across this by accident and now we love it- Do whatever you normally do, but add a beef Bovril cube and simmer for a while...best if you're adding meat to it but I also do it even if I'm not!

AbuelitaAyahuasca Thu 15-Aug-19 19:24:22

Do you have a slow cooker? The longer it cooks the better - usually start with either garlic or onion plus diced celery and carrots in olive oil, add cans of tomatoes and leave it to cook all day.

hollyangel Thu 15-Aug-19 19:27:29

I second the 4 ingredient one posted above. Amazing flavour, I think it's the butter.

NiceRadFem Thu 15-Aug-19 19:27:50

Hi, mum's from Tuscany and this is her best recipe:

- simmer together tinned toms, onions, carrot, celery and any vegetable you like for 30cminutes (aubergines and courgettes are particularly nice).

- when it is cooked add salt, good quality olive oil, lots of fresh basil (you could also add a little fresh garlic and parsley if using aubergines).

- whizz up with processor/blender.

It makes a really fresh tasting sauce that is really crisp - excellent to use for veg lasagne too. Vegan. gluten free. Non binary too, probably. ;)

gowgow Thu 15-Aug-19 19:34:09

Mine is slightly different every time I make it, but the "secret" ingredient is balsamic vinegar.

Amalfimamma Thu 15-Aug-19 19:35:08

I use Italian tomatoes (asda or Tesco own brand are made in Southern Italy)

I heat up my saucepan (I use one cast iron pan to make sauce) then I add some extra virgin olive oil, a clove of garlic and leave it a few minutes. I add my tomatoes squashing them as I add them, the add a little water to the Tina and swish to get the rest of the juice, add the water, add a punch of salt and stir (wooden spoon as a metal one will bring out the acidity in the tomatoes). I bring it to a boil, lower the heat and cover and let cook for at least 30 minutes stirring occasionally.

If the sauce if for the kids i make an 8 veg sauce and the blitz it all

myrtleWilson Thu 15-Aug-19 19:44:01

Marcella Hazan - every time!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in