Talk

Advanced search

Large Victoria sponge - How many eggs/How long

(8 Posts)
sm40 Tue 05-Mar-19 13:11:33

I want to make a large birthday cake this weekend for DD.
I have a square 24cm (9.5 inch) cake tin.
How many eggs do I need in this sponge mixture? (I will then weigh the rest of the ingredients to match the eggs).
Also do I cook in one large go, or in 2 halves? If so how long would each option take?
Thank you!

bloodywhitecat Tue 05-Mar-19 13:19:58

I used 6 eggs for a 9in (23cm) square tin and cooked in two layers to prevent it from drying out too much in the oven. I think I would be tempted to add an extra egg and upscale the rest of the ingredients to match.

sm40 Tue 05-Mar-19 13:22:26

Thank you - I have just found an brilliant website where you enter your cake tin size, and it says 7 eggs too. Thank you - will go with that!

sm40 Tue 05-Mar-19 13:23:11

Just in case!
charlotteslivelykitchen.com/birthday-cake-faqs/

TeaforTwoBiscuitOrThree Tue 05-Mar-19 13:28:53

I use fool-proof Mary Berry recipe. 225 gr plain flour, 225 gr sugar, 225 gr butter, 3 eggs and a table spoon of baking powder (probably too much, but it gives it a nice rise). It creates a nice cake (not huge), which lasts us (3 of us) a week.

Squeakyheart Tue 05-Mar-19 13:40:45

I love Mumsnet!!!! I'm literally sitting here looking at my new rectangle tin and wondering what size recipe to use!

sm40 Tue 05-Mar-19 14:54:35

I am planning on extrapolating the Mary Berry Recipe up! Getting hungry already!

loveliesbleeding1 Fri 05-Apr-19 15:19:23

Just literally made the Mary Berry one a couple of hours ago,I added a splash of milk to the sponge mix.It looks lovely but I can’t taste any till everyone gets home.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »