Talk

Advanced search

Help novice cook with a spice question!!

(13 Posts)
Redehila Wed 14-Feb-18 09:05:09

I am attempting to make butter chicken in the slow cooker for tonight's dinner. I'm a poor cook at the best of times, so this is quite the effort!!

I have got all the ingredients bar the tandoori masala. It was not to be found anywhere so bought this instead - attached pic.

Can someone please tell me if this is ok and if it will still work!!!

Thank you, I'm starting on it in the next hour or so and worrying it will go wrong before I begin...

Redehila Wed 14-Feb-18 09:07:48

@Tinks15 this is the recipe you suggested on another thread. I'm blaming you if it goes tits up 😉

Redehila Wed 14-Feb-18 09:27:39

Anybody?!

MoMandaS Wed 14-Feb-18 09:30:09

Yes but leave out the curry paste or you'll end up with too much oil.

BadlyParkedRangeRover Wed 14-Feb-18 09:31:09

It's fine. It's the spice masala in a marinade. Bung it on the chicken for a few hours then make the curry. Possibly leave out the curry powder.

Redehila Wed 14-Feb-18 10:01:01

Thank you. It's going in the slow cooker so no time to marinade so will remove the curry paste.

JollyGiraffe Wed 14-Feb-18 10:03:34

I made this the other day, it's amazing!

I wold leave out the curry paste and use that tandoori paste instead. Taste it after a few hours and you can always add some more.

Enjoy!

Redehila Wed 14-Feb-18 11:17:40

Well it's in!!! DP is a whizz in the kitchen so I don't cook ever but thought I'd try something for tonight. I will update you all accordingly!! Ps is coconut milk supposed to be half solid / half water? I just bunged it in, stirred and now hoping for the best 😁

LBOCS2 Wed 14-Feb-18 11:37:59

Yes - it separates in the can. It'll come together as it warms up.

JollyGiraffe Wed 14-Feb-18 11:38:19

Yep, it does that sometimes.

Look forward to hearing how it turns out!

Tinks15 Wed 14-Feb-18 14:55:29

Yeah OP the tandoori masala isn't easy to get hold of I found it up the international aisle in sainsbos.
You will love this recipe though if you don't there is something wrong with you grin.

Tinks15 Wed 14-Feb-18 14:55:53

Let me know what you think

Redehila Thu 15-Feb-18 11:39:55

So I'm alive!! Managed not to give myself or DP food poisoning!

It was ace actually. Took ages to thicken up so whacked it on high at the end, I think I went wrong when I followed a comment on the reviews that said to half the tomato purée if it was double concentrate, and add extra water. It was very tasty though!!

Am excited to try more now. Thank you for your help! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now