Talk

Advanced search

Difference between luster dust and food paint

(6 Posts)
CillitBangYouCompleteMe Mon 29-Jan-18 16:57:16

No, you don't add vodka to the paint. You would add it to lustre dust to make a paint.

Yes, with either you can paint directly into most surfaces.

I've always found metallic food paints to be shit, which is why I make my own with lustre dust and vodka. Look on YouTube to see how easy it is and the difference in the results.

jyotigupta Mon 29-Jan-18 16:23:38

Ohh ok...thanks everyone...so no need to add vodka with food paint??can i use paint directly on cake???

OP’s posts: |
Chocolate1984 Mon 29-Jan-18 16:11:36

Lustre dust adds more of a sheen than a solid colour. If you want a solid colour use paint.

CillitBangYouCompleteMe Mon 29-Jan-18 16:08:29

I'd use the lustre dust with a bit of vodka. Add the vodka a few drops at a time and don't make the mix too thin. Paint one coat and see how it dries. You can add a second coat or dust with dry lustre dust to get a good finish.

youokayhun Mon 29-Jan-18 16:05:46

Lustre dust will not be as prominent and will need mixing with a clear alcohol in order to form a paint, which can be hard to get the hang of. I'd suggest going for the paint personally.

jyotigupta Mon 29-Jan-18 16:00:43

Hi All,
I have to make a chocolate truffle cake,on which have to do some golden painting...
Please suggest me whether should I use gold luster dust or gold edible paint..
I don't know the difference between these two as i have not used before either..
In the local store both are available...the gold edible paint and gold luster dust..just confused which one should I buy..
Thanks....

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in