Talk

Advanced search

Christmas vegetarian inspiration

(9 Posts)
didyoureally Thu 14-Dec-17 10:04:38

I am hosting Christmas meal this year for a mix of meat-eaters and vegetarians. I have it covered for the meat-eaters and will do loads of vegetables, roast potatoes, veggie stuffing etc that should suit everyone. I wondered if anyone has any delicious ideas for the main part of the veggies' meal. I want to provide something really tasty for them and DCs definitely don't a Quorn roast (again)! I am happy to make something myself but thought it would be good to have some shop-bought things in as backup. Any ideas gratefully received!

OP’s posts: |
Sillydoggy Thu 14-Dec-17 11:20:58

We are having filo pastry Christmas crackers filled with mushroom,chestnut, cream and port. The children like tomato and onion in theirs.

I made a spectacular Christmas pie one year with a hot water crust and layers of interesting veg inside (red and green layers). Good because you can make it in advance.

I fancy this one though
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/893657/squash-and-sage-pithivier

didyoureally Thu 14-Dec-17 13:25:19

Thanks for the link to the pithivier - it looks delicious and I could make it in advance which would be useful. Lots more interesting recipes on that site too and I love the sound of your crackers!

kateandme Thu 14-Dec-17 15:22:10

any of these take ur fancy hun.
www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/christmas_recipes/vegetarian-christmasrecipes.html

Blackteadrinker77 Thu 14-Dec-17 15:25:58

Nut roasts are lovely. I like to use chestnuts to keep it festive.

Rudgie47 Thu 14-Dec-17 15:35:25

We are having a mushroom and chesnut wellington. I've made this before and its lovely.http://www.veganvillage.co.uk/recipes/wellie.htm.
Make it the day before and keep it in the fridge then you just have the veg to sort out on Xmas day.

knittingteapot Thu 14-Dec-17 15:37:25

We've had a pithiver type thing before which was good. Might even be the linked one! If you look on the Vegetarian society website, they tend to do a Christmas theme each year. We had the Moroccan pie for a few years in a row because it was so good. Last year we had Christmas tree shaped pizzas!

didyoureally Thu 14-Dec-17 16:03:27

Thanks for all the ideas. I am salivating and might just ditch meat altogether this year! I have never been on the Waitrose site before, it has some lovely recipes which are very tempting

lastqueenofscotland Fri 15-Dec-17 13:33:04

We made the Leon but roast last year it was unreal

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »