Talk

Advanced search

Easy vegan cake frosting/filling/icing?

(9 Posts)
canihaveacoffeeplease Wed 29-Mar-17 19:34:57

I have a good vegan sponge recipe but am struggling with a really good icing of some sort..:it's for a friends birthday so plain sponge with a bit of jam and icing sugar like I usually make her just won't cut it!

Ideally no weird and wonderful ingredients if possible but I have a very well stocked pantry...

ScarletSienna Wed 29-Mar-17 19:38:44

For buttercream, Flora freedom (75g), vanilla, icing sugar (250g) and some Trex (25g) (vegetable shortening) is perfect. The Trex makes a difference to how well it holds but you cannot taste it at all!

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Wed 29-Mar-17 19:39:29

buttercream with vitalite?

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Wed 29-Mar-17 19:44:32

oh, or if you can get some vegan chocolate you can make a water ganache...I think the high%cocoa one from Lindt is accidentally vegan.

this chocolate mousse is a water ganache it takes a while as you thik it is never going to work, but it does and is brilliant!

canihaveacoffeeplease Wed 29-Mar-17 19:48:28

Oooh I didn't know flora freedom/vitalite are vegan! Brilliant, thanks! Water ganache looks fab too, and a bit more 'special'. Definitely going to give that a go.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Wed 29-Mar-17 20:00:07

Dairy free choc fudge icing - dead easy, enough for the top of a 7 inch cake (double it if you want to sandwich it) and really good:
1.5 oz vitalite or Pure
2 tbsp water
2 oz vegan chocolate, melted
6 oz icing sugar, sifted

Melt butter. Mix with water.
Add chocolate.
Beat chocolate mixture into icing sugar - as it cools it will thicken.
Spread onto cake and decorate.

(NB a lot of cake decorations have non vegan ingredients so grating chocolate over the top might be safest.)

cheeseandcrackers Wed 29-Mar-17 20:22:42

Lemon/coffee/chocolate (made with cocoa powder or dark dairy-free chocolate) buttercream icing made with sunflower/vegetable margarine instead of butter

hiimmumma Wed 29-Mar-17 21:07:43

I used to make butter icing. Icing sugar and any dairy free spread. I think I doing m&s own brand was good.
It dosent have the same taste as using butter, i don't really like the taste of the spread. It's a bit margarine-y so I used to put some vanilla in too. From a pod not a jar so it's not adding more moisture!
Pictures attached of Vegan cakes using this!

ScarletSienna Wed 29-Mar-17 22:58:24

If all fails-Betty Crocker pots of icing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now