Talk

Advanced search

Can you freeze Gypsy Tart?

(8 Posts)
Tablefor4 Tue 31-Jan-17 17:27:52

Title says it all! I made a gypsy tart today, but I have excess filling. Can I freeze the uncooked filling or am I better off making another tart and freezing that?

For those who have not just time travelled from 1985, the middle is a mix of muscovado sugar and evaporated milk. Yummy!😄

Isitjustmeorisiteveryoneelse Tue 31-Jan-17 17:35:48

I have no idea, but please have this thread deleted. Gypsy tart is the food of the devil but beloved of DH who clearly thinks that it can only be made by special local bakery type people, working locally, in a local bakery. If he sees this he's going to have a lightbulb moment and ask me to make one for his upcoming birthday. Shudders....

SittingDrinkingTea Tue 31-Jan-17 17:38:00

It is indeed the food of the devil. Just the name takes me back to being forced to eat it at school 🤢.

Tablefor4 Tue 31-Jan-17 17:52:43

I know sittingDrinkingTea me too! But homemade without the background smell of disinfectant.....

Deathraystare Sun 05-Feb-17 13:50:10

I have a feeling you can't (though no expert here) I think the filling would separate or go liquidy?

Fond memories of mum's gypsy tart and schools dinners. We had ours with a thickish clear lemon sauce.

Why not just spoon down the remaining lot or just do another pie if it'll keep a while (not in my one person home - though I go to Morrison's for an occasional 'fix' and don't make my own.

NotLadyPrickshit Sun 05-Feb-17 13:55:30

What is gypsy tart? I've never heard of it confused

MongerTruffle Tue 07-Feb-17 21:19:05

NotLadyPrickshit

It's a tart (obviously) with a filling made of evaporated (or condensed) milk and muscovado sugar.

<cringe>

PolterGoose Wed 08-Feb-17 20:21:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now