Talk

Advanced search

how to bake camembert?

(16 Posts)
runner2 Wed 21-Dec-16 13:00:44

Can anyone tell me the best way to bake a camembert? Is it safe to put it in the oven in the box you buy it in?

Mondrian Wed 21-Dec-16 13:03:16

Yes I have baked it in the box with good result, served with crostini sticks.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Wed 21-Dec-16 13:04:33

Depends on the box.
The glued one might become undone in the heat.

FeedMyFaceWithJaffaCakes Wed 21-Dec-16 13:06:45

I would cover that box in tin foil to make it more sturdy/prevent any leaks and yup! It is, but you only need the base!
Pre heat oven to 180.
Slash a cross just through top rind of the cheese (makes it easier to peel back and get to the gooeyness!)
You can Gently pierce some garlic in the top too, but a little goes a long way.
Pop in preheated oven for about 12-15 mins
(Fittingly the same amount of time as part baked baguettes take. grin)
Serve with chutneys!

ofudginghell Wed 21-Dec-16 13:07:13

I bought a China dish with lid specifically for baking then.
Take it out of the box and wrapping.
Make little slits with the end of a knife and gently push some slices of raw garlic into them as well as little bits of rosemary.
Cover and bake on low for about 20 mins and serve with warm baguettes
Yummy grin

pimmsy Wed 21-Dec-16 13:12:49

Can you get those sort of plasticy bags that go in the oven to bake chicken in where you are? The sort of thing in the photo?

If so what I do is slice the camembert in half height wise put some honey and crushed garlic in the middle, sandwich it back together, pop it back into its box and then into the bag and add a dash of white wine. I tie a pretty knot at the top of the bag and put it in the oven.

That way you can put it on a plate and snip the top of the bag open at the table.

If you don't have any of the oven bag things I would recommend putting it in a serving dish in the oven because sometimes the boxes open up it the heat.

987flowers Thu 22-Dec-16 08:05:10

Put a camembert baker on your Christmas list! Honestly it's fantastic! Slits in your cheese, pop in garlic and a glug of wine and bake for 15 mins.

Word of warning though, not all camemberts bake these days and I've now changed to buying specific baking camembert as others have just refused to go molten!

runner2 Fri 23-Dec-16 17:38:41

Thanks for all those great tips! Merry Christmas!! smile

MummyPigLovesAppleSauce Fri 23-Dec-16 19:00:51

I take mine out of the box and wrap it in grease proof paper before putting it back in the box. Stops the dreaded leakage!

SweetPeaPods Fri 30-Dec-16 15:02:48

987flowers yes I have had a couple too so back to buying baking Camembert. Waitrose had a lovely Christmas one in last week.

superram Fri 30-Dec-16 15:16:10

Yes we have eventually realised about baking Camembert-normal one just goes manky!

midsomermurderess Sat 31-Dec-16 19:54:16

you just bake it (tm wittertainment).

Whowouldfardelsbear Sun 01-Jan-17 09:56:57

you just bake it (tm wittertainment).

(Waves to Jason Issacs)

DressedToExpress Sun 01-Jan-17 19:51:02

Ah, more members of the church 👍

Cheeseandbeansontoast Mon 02-Jan-17 18:03:35

Please please, I beg you, let me know where / what makes/ types of the baking Camemberts you can buy???

Thank you so much!
We've baked them, but sometimes go a bit hard or congeals a bit ....
I offer you wine, obviously to go with the Camembert...

Cheeseandbeansontoast Mon 02-Jan-17 18:29:47

Thank you so much in advance, that should say.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now