Frozen chicken breasts yay or nay?

(7 Posts)
DoesMyMarthaCliffLookBigInThis Sun 17-Jul-16 20:36:39

Just wondering what everyone's opinion of these is. They're the prepackaged ones that come in 1kg bags. I always thought that they were just plain chicken but bought some today and was surprised to see the ingredients listed as chicken, water and dextrose. Cooked them in a casserole for dinner and they tasted fine. They're a fair whack cheaper than the fresh ones!

Jk2016 Sun 17-Jul-16 21:00:39

I bought some today also from iceland & like you thought they were just plain chicken, the ingredients say they contain tapioca starch, theres 1.3 grams of fat in 100g, I won't be using these because I'm starting slimming world tomorrow, so I say nay

KP86 Sun 17-Jul-16 21:03:40

I use them all the time. Significantly cheaper and because of the additives they actually come up juicier when baked.

They are generally also free on slimming world. (Eg. I buy Asda and they are def free.)

I don't really see the difference between buying pre-frozen vs fresh and putting into the freezer at home...

Jk2016 Sun 17-Jul-16 21:07:36

Thanks KP86 I've a lot to learn about slimming world yet, I didnt think these would be free so i wasn't going to use them but now I will

AnotherRubberDuck Sun 17-Jul-16 21:12:02

I don't think they taste as nice as fresh, but it's all I can afford, and they are still nice. You can't really tell once it's in a sauce anyway.
And it's really handy having chicken breasts always in the freezer!

I dint use them if we just want chicken and veg for example, but I always use them for curry, stir fry, jerk etc. They taste fine in a sauce and we eat loads of chicken so it saves us a fortune. I've also been known to buy dived frozen chicken for quick dinners <lazy>

antimatter Sun 17-Jul-16 21:19:13

I always wonder how long they were frozen from before they got to supermarkets and where they originate. Is nay for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now