Talk

Advanced search

Salads for kids who don't like salad

(12 Posts)
gingermary Sat 30-Jan-16 15:01:07

We live overseas and it is very hot at the moment. My kids (5 and 2) enjoy cooked vegetables but aren't interested in salad type veg at all. It's too hot for a cooked dinner every night- any ideas? They will happily munch on some chicken, boiled egg etc with sweetcorn and avo but would like to extend the range a bit.

StealthPolarBear Sat 30-Jan-16 15:03:10

Carrot sticks? Whole sugar snap peas?

MadeinBelfast Sat 30-Jan-16 15:08:41

How about couscous salad with e.g. roasted Mediterranean veg? I've had some lovely ones recently with quinoa and whatever veg you have to hand chucked in. My kids prefer couscous though, especially with sultanas thrown in!

D2 who ought to be old enough to know better by now, has never been a salad fan. If we have salad, she tends to have a combination of:
carrot sticks
sugar snaps
baby corn
cucumber slices
tomatoes
tiny inner leaves from a little gem or baby cos lettuce
grapes

Slices of pepper

slebmum1 Sat 30-Jan-16 16:56:04

Mine won't touch salad.

If I chop up carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, pepper, celery, Apple etc and don't actually call it salad they eat it.hmm

EmmanuelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 30-Jan-16 17:35:08

How about a pasta salad? Olives, roasted peppers, sweetcorn, boiled eggs, cherry tomatoes, you could also put chicken and cucumber chopped really small.. whatever you have to hand.

Dancingqueen17 Sat 30-Jan-16 20:12:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cressandra Sun 31-Jan-16 00:21:49

Grated carrot, preferably in small pot with spoon
Grapes
Pasta salad
Cooked cooled green beans
Tinned chick peas or butter beans etc
Cucumber is occasionally tolerated if skin removed
Olives & gherkins
Coleslaw
Baby sweetcorn
Raw sliced mushrooms, courgette or cauli
HFW has an asian style slaw in his Veg book that one of mine will eat. IIRC it's shredded carrot and cabbage with a little mild vinegar and soy sauce.
I also give them cooked veg in their lunchboxes sometimes.

Worth trying those vac packs of cooked beetroot too, if you haven't already.

gingermary Sun 31-Jan-16 08:49:28

Thanks, you have given me some good ideas to try things a different way, I think grated carrot might work.

hollinhurst84 Mon 01-Feb-16 21:54:13

Spiralized might work? Or lie box grater on its side and use long strokes (sounds rude somehow!!!) and you get long bits
Good for carrots and cucumber, beetroot too

Here is a much better description!
http://www.topwithcinnamon.com/2013/06/lazy-girls-zucchini-spaghetti-no-fancy-tools-required-with-peas-creme-fraiche-and-pesto.html

CheshireChat Thu 04-Feb-16 16:32:01

I also like spiralized/ chopped celeriac, apple and carrot, maybe beetroot with either mayo or yogurt. You can add some chicken to it as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now