Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Low salt stock cubes

(9 Posts)
BoyFromTheBigBadCity Sun 25-Oct-15 23:57:30

Yes, ideally I would make all my own stock but I don't actually have a lot of bones (I live alone so don't do roasts often). During winter I like to make big pans of broth and so on, along with general uses. But even the nice organic cubes have lots of salt. Any suggestions?

HelenF35 Mon 26-Oct-15 00:08:05

Baby stock cubes?

FinestGrundyTurkey Mon 26-Oct-15 03:20:47

Kallo make "very low salt" organic cubes - veg, chicken & beef

www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Shopping/FindProducts.aspx?Query=Kallo%20very%20low%20salt

Highlove Mon 26-Oct-15 07:40:38

Ask your butcher for bones if you don't tend to have them. Proper stock makes such a massive difference. In an emergency though, I use Kallo low salt or bouillon low salt.

BoyFromTheBigBadCity Mon 26-Oct-15 11:41:57

How much should you pay for bones? I have to get a bus to a butchers, so want to make sure it's worth it (I'd buy some other things too, obviously). I guess I have no idea about how to choose a butcher because I don't live in walking distance of one.

LadyPenelope68 Mon 26-Oct-15 11:48:04

Marigold Vegetable Bouillon powder is brilliant for soups. They do a regular and low-salt version, available in most supermarkets and health food shops. Far nicer than stock cubes and less faff than bones.

Highlove Mon 26-Oct-15 19:09:12

You shouldn't have to pay for bones! A decent butcher will give them you for free. But probably best to buy something while you're there smile

whois Mon 26-Oct-15 20:00:45

Kallo make "very low salt" organic cubes - veg, chicken & beef

I use these. Although I've stopped stressing about salt and just don't add any more salt to the cooking if I use stock.

BoyFromTheBigBadCity Mon 26-Oct-15 22:15:12

Thanks all smile
who I agree but I have realised that I've been eating more salt than I realised so I'm trying to be more aware.

Thanks all for what to buy smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now