Talk

Advanced search

Is it OK to give my children gluten free goods?

(28 Posts)
Utkatasana Thu 08-Jan-15 15:04:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SunshineAndShadows Thu 08-Jan-15 15:06:27

Yes it's fine, gluten is a not a nutient and so not needed in your diet

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Thu 08-Jan-15 15:06:48

You do know that you shouldn't really be eating these unless you've been diagnosed with a proper allergy? They replace the gluten with all sorts of rubbish so they are rather unhealthy and will make you gain weight. They also taste like shit and are more expensive than the normal products.

Hope this helps.

hugoagogo Thu 08-Jan-15 15:08:14

I don't suppose it would have a negative effect on them.

Why are you considering reducing your gluten intake by the way?

NancyJones Thu 08-Jan-15 15:09:01

Absolutely fine. Gluten is not needed and in fact there is some evidence that it isn't good for human consumption, certainly in the quantities that we consume these days.
However, just be wary of lots of GF shop bought stuff like biscuits and cakes as they are literally jam packed with additives.

poocatcherchampion Thu 08-Jan-15 15:11:05

Wouldn't it be more sensible to reduce gluten by eating different food rather than specially formulated food?

Hassled Thu 08-Jan-15 15:15:27

This is a useful article :

From the article:
"a study published last year in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics ... concluded: “There is no evidence to suggest following a gluten-free diet has any significant benefits in the general population.”

“Indeed,” it continued, “there is some evidence to suggest that a gluten-free diet may adversely affect gut health in those without coeliac disease or gluten sensitivity.” Other research has indicated that gluten-free diets are often low in fibre and can be linked to deficiencies in B vitamins, iron and folate. "

livegoldrings Thu 08-Jan-15 15:17:37

These products are normally made with rice or another cereal that does not contain gluten so should be fine for DCs. Kids dont need gluten to grow but most people agree they do need a good amount of carbs. But some people think it is actually beneficial for everyone to reduce the amount of wheat they eat, as we tend to overuse wheat in this country and it is one of the hardest grains to digest and also because by replacing it with a range of different flours you increase the amount of different nutrients you are getting. Hugh Fearnley- Whittingstall has a good book out right now called light and easy that is a cookery book for people reducing wheat and dairy in their diets, not necessarily because they are intolerant but for the reasons I mentioned. He says he will have some wheat if he wants it, but is trying to cut back.

Hassled Thu 08-Jan-15 15:18:45

And the other danger of going gluten-free when you're not Coeliac is that people generally then take Coeliac disease less seriously - important people, like the chef who might use the same bread board or knife and cross-contaminate the gluten-free bread, causing the Coeliac who eats it to feel unwell.

iknowimcoming Thu 08-Jan-15 15:22:25

This weeks food unwrapped had a piece on just this, really worth you watching in my opinion smile

Stinkle Thu 08-Jan-15 15:28:06

My DD1 is coeliac, and as a result the rest of us eat far less gluten than we used to.

We still have some - if we're out/biscuits/shop bought cakes, but if I make cake for example, it's gluten free so DD can have it too.

I cook from scratch a lot, so if I'm making bread/homemade pizza/chicken pie/etc I'll make it with GF flour.

Hassled Thu 08-Jan-15 15:31:46

stinkle - I've made cakes, brownies, all sorts, successfully with GF flour but never pizza dough - what's the secret?

specialsubject Thu 08-Jan-15 15:37:34

a GF diet is being tried in this house as we have sound reasons to give it a go.

unlike the education-wasting airheads on 'food unwrapped', this is not because 'it's good for us, innit?' or 'it has less sugar, doesn't it?'

it doesn't need many changes, most foods don't contain gluten and we can get plenty of good carbs without it. Just some serious label reading needed. Pass the reading glasses.. Certainly won't be buying much gluten-free special stuff, not at those prices!

Applecrabs Thu 08-Jan-15 15:41:43

What LadySibil said.

Gluten free products are not better for you, unless you have a specific allergy to gluten.

Stinkle Thu 08-Jan-15 15:48:28

Hassled. I use this recipe for the dough from Doves

The dough is quite wet and sticky, try and resist adding more flour. You end up in a bit of a mess, bit it's pretty good

Hassled Thu 08-Jan-15 15:49:25

Thanks stinkle - that may well make my DS2 a very happy boy smile

alwayssleepy Thu 08-Jan-15 16:08:37

We eat gluten free in this household, as myself and my son are coeliacs. My dh eats gluten free too as I dont cook separate. We tend to avoid some of the the gluten replacements as they are full of rubbish ingredients. We do eat gluten free bread, and gluten free pasta, but not so much the gf biscuits and things. Overall the diet forces you into a healthier diet, as you have to say no when you get offered things, like a biscuit with your cuppa!

You can get some very nice Italian gf pasta these days that doesn't have nasties in it, and the diet itself I feel works best if you dont try to replace everything with a gf version, but instead eat more rice, corn and potato for carbs, and much more veg.

I think it's fine to try and reduce the amount of wheat you eat, there are loads of other options and it makes your cooking more adventurous.

So while gluten free specialty products are not necessarily better for you unless you have a medical reason for eating them, I think a diet with reduced wheat can be good, and if you cook a lot of pasta you can replace this with a nice GF pasta instead.

It's good to remember that bread and cereal are fortified with vitamins, and the gf versions are not, so if you cut these out make sure you are getting your vitamins another way.

DinosaurTrain Thu 08-Jan-15 17:02:03

I think its fine, as long as you don't rely on shop bought alternatives like the ready made gluten free stuff which is often full of as much crap or worse than you could do with gluten including products.

I don't think you should avoid it altogether as you risk making them sensetive to it by doing that - perhaps it can be fine at friends houses/on weekends etc?

But I dont think gluten is essential to a healthy diet for anyone.

Utkatasana Thu 08-Jan-15 18:31:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Yoruba Thu 08-Jan-15 18:45:04

Can you give whole wheat pasta to children? I thought it was not at all under 5 and in limited amounts after? Happy to stand corrected though smile

DinosaurTrain Thu 08-Jan-15 19:16:01

Why would you not be able to give under 5's whole wheat???

Unless that was a joke, then I apologise for having missed the point entirely...

Norfolkandchance1234 Fri 09-Jan-15 10:11:14

I wouldn't because gluten free foods are not actually that healthy because of the substitutes used.

Stinkle Fri 09-Jan-15 10:39:05

Yeah, I wouldn't go out and buy loads of GF products as I'm not sure the GF processed stuff is any better if you're not doing it for medical reasons.

There's loads of food you can eat which are naturally GF without having to use substitutes, but be careful when reading labels as I've been surprised with the things I've found it in.

I never buy GF specific stuff like ready meals, cakes, etc. I use GF flour, suet, baking powder, etc and make it myself. We've tried the bread, but DD says it's vile so I bought a bread maker

this website is pretty much my bible

Jux Fri 09-Jan-15 10:49:25

Gluten is a protein. Unless you have coeliac disease then going gluten-free is a just a quicker way of emptying your bank account.

OldBeanbagz Fri 09-Jan-15 11:58:04

Stinkle do you have a good recipe for a breadmaker loaf?

DH has been gluten free for 6 months now and it's the bread we struggle with most. I would prefer to make my own rather than buy the expensive shop bought GF bread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now