Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to say this is not cake...

(6 Posts)
ElleDubloo Sat 20-Dec-14 14:32:15

My sister-in-law is ridiculously health-conscious and keeps baking healthy versions of cakes where she substitutes ingredients. Today she made a "banana cake" which is sugar-free, egg-free and butter-free. It just contains flour, sunflower oil and bananas. She got upset when I noted that this is technically banana bread. (It's delicious, by the way, but I insist it's not cake). What do you think? Or is this in the blurred line between bread and cakes?

wishiwasonthebeach Sat 20-Dec-14 15:45:47

Yep, sounds like bread to me.

ouryve Sat 20-Dec-14 15:50:06

Yep, bread.

Or a glorified scone, at best.

I'd tell her you don't want any because you're low carbing and point out the environmental devastation that goes on to grow sunflowers and have a whinge about the chemical processes often used to extract the oil. She might just conclude that she might as well bake real cake, if she wants cake.

FunkyBoldRibena Sat 20-Dec-14 15:50:22

I think you are being picky and if it hasn't got yeast in it, it ain't bread.

Why is it a substitute and not just a recipe? Why do you have to be like this? Can you not just chill out a bit?

CogitOIOIO Sat 20-Dec-14 17:32:53

Cake is such an unnecessary and entirely frivolous thing to eat that it always seems a shame to screw around with it in the name of 'health'. smile Better to eat something else than to waste tooth time on something joyless that simply looks like cake.

Tell her to look up 'orthorexia'....

ElleDubloo Sat 20-Dec-14 18:09:58

Funky - I'm pretty sure she used some sort of raising agent, though she didn't say. Also, flatbreads are made without raising agents, and they're still bread.

I know I'm being pedantic. But she's pretty pedantic about her health-consciousness so I figure it'll be fun to annoy her back wink

Cogit - My sentiments exactly!

Thanks everyone. Nice to get some backup! I'll stick to my guns and keep calling it bread... "Mmmm, your banana bread is so yummy..." grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now