Talk

Advanced search

Best before dates on eggs - oh I am such an idiot

(9 Posts)
TinyGang Sun 28-May-06 11:00:29

Dd loves a boiled egg and soldiers. She's just had one for breakfast, seemed happy with it, but I was just clearing up the kitchen and the box of eggs says use by 20 May.

I am usually very hot about dates on food. Feel awful for having given it to her. Will she be ok do you think?

colditz Sun 28-May-06 11:03:25

She'll be fine.

they are best before, not use by. Eggs stay fresh for quite a long time.

Rowlers Sun 28-May-06 11:04:17

She'll be fine I'm sure.
But then I'm a bit blase about this sort of thing.
Must have a strong constitution!

azroc Sun 28-May-06 11:04:35

If it seemed okay, it was okay. She would have noticed if it tasted odd - and when eggs go, they really go!

Marne Sun 28-May-06 11:04:54

i used some that were 2 weeks out of date, well gave them to dh, he's still alive

edam Sun 28-May-06 11:05:21

I'm sure she'll be fine but actually, best before dates on eggs are a strange anomaly. They should be treated as 'use by' because of the risk of salmonella food poisoning.

TinyGang Sun 28-May-06 11:06:38

Thanks colditz - she seems fine it's true.

I live in dread of sicky tummy bugs I certainly don't want to be the one to have invited one in.

TinyGang Sun 28-May-06 11:08:20

Blimey you all posted super fast whilst I was replying to colditz. Thanks all

NannyL Mon 29-May-06 16:51:37

she'll be fine

not that long ago eggs didnt even have sell by dates

i use eggs (in baking) up to a month after there sell by date... no problems yet (BUT I DO ALWAYS break them into a mug and check they smell ok) (Never yet had one the doesnt smell ok tho

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: