Advanced search

Grating tool? Spong? Mandoline? Something else?

(18 Posts)
NotQuiteCockney Wed 24-May-06 13:18:56

I need some sort of grating tool. (No, not a grater, I have one of those.) I do a lot of grating.

I had a look at my MIL's spong recently, and that looks like it would do the job. Who makes spongs? Is spong the right word for them? Are they machine washable?

I have seen mandolines that purported to do grating, but I'm wavering about whether good grating is worth losing a finger for. (I already have a mandoline, anyway.)

Or, in France, I saw a sort of mill sort of grater, but didn't (of course) note the brand or anything.

Any suggestions?

JackieNo Wed 24-May-06 13:19:41

Are they called 'Mouli' or something? Will google...

oliveoil Wed 24-May-06 13:20:04

what on earth are you on about?

what the hell is a spong?

what are you grating? bricks????

JackieNo Wed 24-May-06 13:21:18

Something like this?

NotQuiteCockney Wed 24-May-06 13:22:47

A spong is (I think?) for cutting up cooked meat to make minced meat. (Ok, I'm not sure why you'd want to do that, but my MIL seems to do it a lot.)

I am not grating bricks. I am grating:
- carrot for carrot cake
- courgette for courgette salad
- all sorts of root veg for root veg latkes

I forget what else. I wouldn't use a tool to grate a bit of cheese to put on pasta, it's for the giant grating jobs, that I used to use a food processor for, but decided the food processor was overkill ...

NotQuiteCockney Wed 24-May-06 13:23:42

Oh, no, not a mouli. I've had one of those. They're good for turning, say, whole tinned tomatoes into chopped tomatoes, but no good for carrots etc.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 24-May-06 13:24:16

Good try though, I will try to search more. Also, to find a picture of a spong.

Is "spong" not a word then? It seems like a made-up word, but what do I know, I'm not English.

JackieNo Wed 24-May-06 13:24:56

How about this then? Says it works on veg?

twocatsonthebed Wed 24-May-06 13:25:18

I know the mill sort of grater you mean - my (belgian) stepmother has one. Will see if I can find one out there.

Another alternative is grating in a food processor - that works quite well for me.

But Google and I are utterly baffled about spongs - could only come up with a bishop?!? Do tell!

NotQuiteCockney Wed 24-May-06 13:25:19

Ah, meat grinder is the word I want. Spong is a brand of meat grinder.

JackieNo Wed 24-May-06 13:25:54

Or this?

oliveoil Wed 24-May-06 13:26:04

what you need is one of those mini food processor things maybe?

we have a mini one for zapping peanuts when dh has his Thai head on

NotQuiteCockney Wed 24-May-06 13:26:44

If I go buy a food processor now, after convincing DH that we needed to get rid of the old one (which was big), I think Words may be Had. I wish to avoid Words.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 24-May-06 13:27:15

Oh, and I have a mini chopper thing that goes with the wand blender, but doesn't chop things evenly, so no good for this problem.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 24-May-06 13:28:10

Hmm, I used to have one a lot like this . That worked ok, and this one looks sturdier, maybe made out of metal?

NotQuiteCockney Wed 24-May-06 13:31:12

Hmm, looks like "rotary grater" is the fix.

That's what I used to use, anyway ... now to find one I can stand, that's available in the UK ...

Blu Wed 24-May-06 13:51:31

The drum one that jackie links to or the rotary one you have found both look good to me! I had an all-metal one that I bought in Carrefour in France, but it got all bent out of shape.

My Mum used to have a mincer like this it was brilliant. For something to mince meat, google 'meat mincer' uk pages only. Others were a bit plasticky-looking - or a fab one that cost £110!

Californifrau Thu 25-May-06 04:12:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: