Talk

Advanced search

What do you do with really nice / expensive balsamic vinegar?

(12 Posts)
mangohedgehog Sat 10-Nov-12 15:09:44

I splashed out and got a bottle of the good stuff, but now I have no idea what to do with it! Normally I use cheapy balsamic on salads, roast veg etc. Seems a shame to waste this expensive stuff on a salad though. Any ideas you can share with me?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 10-Nov-12 20:49:46

I like just dipping lovely fresh bread in a small bowl of balsamic and olive oil.

LakeFlyPie Sat 10-Nov-12 20:52:34

As a simple dressing on salad leaves it's delicious, also good on steamed broccoli.

Apparently good on strawberries too although they're out of season now and I don't agree with that or the black pepper thing either

LowLevelWhinging Sat 10-Nov-12 20:54:20

not for cooking, just bread and olive oil, or leaves and olive oil.

If it's really good balsamic vinegar, don't mess with it.

neolara Sat 10-Nov-12 20:56:57

Have you tried belazu balsamic vinegar? Utterly fabulous. I tend to use it on salad, or sandwiches if they have salad in them.

NuclearStandoff Sat 10-Nov-12 21:02:39

Drizzle it on anything.

Cooked fresh beetroot with feta cheese would be nice at this time of year.

mangohedgehog Sun 11-Nov-12 10:24:43

Ooh, fresh bread, olive oil, balsamic.... sounds v v v good

GoldPlatedNineDoors Sun 11-Nov-12 10:27:23

Apple beetroot and feta salad woth balsamic over.

On caramelised.onions atop goats cheese crostini.

I glug loads over chicken, corgettes, onions and butternut squash to make a sort of mediterranean stew, but use so much that its the cheap stuff that goes in there.

AmazingBouncingFerret Sun 11-Nov-12 10:29:09

Good chunk of bread, balsamic and garlic infused olive oil. Yum.

TellMeLater Mon 12-Nov-12 15:02:09

The shame - I only ever buy beluzu and I cook with it blush - I should be arrested! ...I put it in tomato sauce for pasta. I also make salad dressing with it. I'm a butter on bread type of gal. Sometimes a little on strawberries, it lasts ages.

drivinmecrazy Mon 12-Nov-12 15:07:52

Fantasctic drizzled in baked figs, goats cheese and serano ham. Yum. (my fabourite breakfast especially when figs are freshly picked off the tree)

ThePlEWhoLovedMe Mon 12-Nov-12 22:39:20

Drizzle it over tomato, parma ham, avocado, and mozzarella

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now