Talk

Advanced search

Recipes for wild rabbit

(10 Posts)
showtunesgirl Sat 20-Oct-12 19:31:23

On a whim, I bought a wild rabbit from my local butcher.

Any good recipes I should try?

jenduck Sat 20-Oct-12 19:51:06

Rabbit stew is good, the longer you cook it the better! Try it with red wine, too.

showtunesgirl Sat 20-Oct-12 20:08:58

Yup, I know! Any specific recipes though?

I remember having great rabbit when in Malta where it's the national dish.

jenduck Sat 20-Oct-12 20:27:55

I don't think I followed a particular recipe, but this River Cottage one looks good

showtunesgirl Sat 20-Oct-12 20:30:46

Interesting. His one uses cider. I've been having a look around and some people use pale ale but most use red wine.

jenduck Sat 20-Oct-12 20:43:40

I can see how it would work, it would give it a nice earthy flavour, I think & be strong enough to deal with the strong flavour of wild rabbit.

Report back on what you try, I have an urge to do rabbit stew again myself after this!

amillionyears Sat 20-Oct-12 20:57:44

Trying to remember how I cooked mine. I didnt like the taste, I do remember that, and havent had it since! Hope you enjoy yours though.

showtunesgirl Sun 21-Oct-12 22:30:28

Just had this: www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1660637/slowcooked-rabbit-stew and it was wonderful!

tb Sun 28-Oct-12 21:45:09

Fry finely chopped shallots, add rabbit and fry until golden. Add a glass or 2 of white wine like Sauvignon, a bay leaf and a couple of cloves of garlic. Cook for a couple of hours at about gas 2 or 3, say 120 or 130C in a fan oven, aga simmering oven.

Then wait for me to fly to the uk to help you eat it. I love rabbit, and no-one else does apart from the cat.

colditz Sun 28-Oct-12 21:48:15

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Rabbit-with-Tarragon-Sauce

It's so good, it's just SO good!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now