Talk

Advanced search

How do I de-spice some soup I've overspiced?

(8 Posts)
DeeLite Sat 15-Oct-11 17:55:14

So I've made some butternut squash soup for my 14 mo old and added some curry powder to give it a bit of a kick as it seemed a bit tasteless with its ultra-low salt stock. I added too much and now it's too hot even for me so definitely too hot for a toddler's palate. Is there something that will counteract the spice both for taste and sensitive little tummies?

purpleturtletoise Sat 15-Oct-11 17:55:54

Cream? Creme fraiche?

Mix it with some natural yoghurt - it will cool it down and temper the spiciness. Or even some milk.

DeeLite Sat 15-Oct-11 18:04:18

Thanks - glad all that effort wasn't for nothing!

exexpat Sat 15-Oct-11 18:07:16

Tip from a cooking class I went to this week: if you have put too much spice in something, cut a potato in two, drop into pan and simmer it for a while - then remove the potato before serving. It will have soaked up the chilli. Haven't tried it myself though....

BlingLoving Sat 15-Oct-11 18:13:04

Milk or creme fraiche as suggested here. If you feel it will think it too much, add a large potato or two (cooked if you dint want to carry on cooki g soup). Then liquidise again. That will thicken it and tone down spice which, combined with milk etc, will help. Also, try adding a little honey for extra flavour.

BlingLoving Sat 15-Oct-11 18:13:27

Sorry feeding baby while typing.

studentdesignresearch Mon 17-Oct-11 18:33:14

add a peeled potato, it will soak up the spice and if you have oversalted, the salt too, if its still too spiced add some coconut milk or cream or milk or yoghurt

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now