Talk

Advanced search

breadmakers...

(12 Posts)
thisisyesterday Mon 12-Sep-11 17:46:22

k so i have always been a bit meh about using a breadmaker, seeing as it's so easy to make bread without...
but i am too disorganised to be able to make a fresh loaf each day... so do you think breadmakers are worth it?
can they make large loaves? I remember the lady I used to work for got one but the loaves were so little it was just pointless. we get through quite a lot of bread as there are 5 of us, 3 of whom are home all day

can you recommend one?

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 12-Sep-11 18:57:18

My Panasonic makes M, L or XL loaves and they're all quite a decent size. We make about 2 a week for a household of 2. You could make one in the morning and one in the evening if you're particularly heavy bread-eaters. Have got the ingredient-adding part down to sub 1 minute so, aside from remembering to actually do it, there's no real effort. Turns out a loaf on the quick prog in about 2 hours. Maybe get one one secondhand cheap if you're not sure.

thisisyesterday Mon 12-Sep-11 19:04:49

does it work out cheaper than buying bread? I'm paying £1.30 a loaf for one baked in-store in sainsburys

nannyl Mon 12-Sep-11 21:50:32

i think its cheaper

a thing of tesco (or morrisons) white flour = about 70p (for nearly 4 loaves) 20p
1tsp salt.... so cheap its almost free 0p
1 tsp granulated sugar.... again very very cheap 5g at £1/kg = 1p
3/4 tsp doves farm yeast.... that little pack for about £2 lasts me several months
a slither of butter (i use about 10g) so 1 pack of butter at £1.25ish will make me 25 loaves 5p

so perhaps 30p - 40p?

i too have the panasonic. I always made medium which is plenty big enough.
it takes me <1min to turn the machine on.

thisisyesterday Mon 12-Sep-11 22:15:21

hmm so even if i wanted a nice organic fancy-pants loaf it would still come out cheaper.

i think i need to see some in the flesh... panasonic ones get good reviews on amazon, and I know they make very good equipment in general...

what i need is to hire one for a bit grin

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 13-Sep-11 11:35:37

I go for top-notch ingredients as my philosophy is 'don't spoil the ship for a ha'p'orth of tar'... smile Even with organic flour and branded yeast I think a loaf comes in well under £1. It tastes far nicer plus there's an added bonus. By making bread and getting milk delivered I manage not to 'pop to the shop' as often. As I can't 'pop to the shop' and get out again without spending £20, this is a major cost-saving.

thisisyesterday Tue 13-Sep-11 19:21:08

so true! i pop to the shop far too often these days and i just can't help picking other stuff up, to make it seem more worthwhile hmm

i am going to take a look in the local (ish) cookware shop soon and see if they have some display models I can poke at a bit

poppyboo Wed 14-Sep-11 18:22:04

GET A PANASONIC BREADMAKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please don't bother with any other brand, as the bread won't be nearly as good, & then you probably won't use it. You could make an XL loaf in it which is pretty huge (but tall) The bread is absolutely gorgeous, I never buy bread from a shop/bakery now. You can make pizza dough in it too.If my panasonic broke now, I would be out tomorrow to buy a new one. I have a milk bread recipe which tastes like the Warburtons toast loaf you can buy, let me know if any one wants it, it is beautiful!

thisisyesterday Wed 14-Sep-11 18:25:37

i had a look at them today and they're mahoooooosive!

i genuinely am not sure I really have space for one in the kitchen, and I know I won't use it if I have to put it in the cupboard afterwards every time sad

poppyboo Wed 14-Sep-11 18:31:58

you would definitely need to leave it on the side...do you have a spare room you could leave it in on a table in there? You could fill the bread bucket up in your kitchen and then carry it upstairs.....? Seriously, having a breadmaker has changed everything for us food wise, the bread is just so beautiful it spurred us on to healthy eating...we make organic bread for a fraction of the cost of an organic loaf in a supermarket and it is delicious with home made soups etc etc PLease don't rule it out, i use my machine daily and if oyu can love an object, I love this breadmaker LOL The panasonic is the machine to got for though, it will give you the best bread out of all the breadmakers, & alot of mumsnetters would agree. Thinkn about it! You wouldn't regret it!

poppyboo Wed 14-Sep-11 18:32:32

sorry about all the mistakes!

thisisyesterday Wed 14-Sep-11 19:02:19

no, don't have anywhere else i could put it really.

i already make it sometimes anyway, it's easy enough without the breadmaker... it would just be an easy way to get a fresh loaf every morning rather than having to leave it in the fridge overnight or whatever.

i do need my kitchen replacing though, so when i have my new one put in i'll make sure i have a space for it lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now