Talk

Advanced search

Whole milk and toddlers

(5 Posts)
belindarose Tue 26-Jul-11 14:56:06

Do you give your two year olds wholenor semi skimmed milk? I had thought it was supposed to be whole milk for a few more years, but DSIL was told by her DD's dietician not to bother and also that they shouldn't have milk as a drink anyway. What do others do?

ragged Tue 26-Jul-11 19:04:09

I think you'll find most authoritative websites (babycentre, nhs, aap, etc.) suggest full fat (3.8%) until 2yo, and a switch to semi-skimmed in most cases afterwards. Mine stay on full fat forever, it works for us.

Even the Daily Wail says full fat until 4% with a hyped up warning about continuing with it for any longer.

canyou Tue 26-Jul-11 21:20:27

It is recommended that it be full fat until 4 yrs because of the mineral and vit content that is removed with the ream/fat [esp the vit D] but now most milks are fortified so it is not such a huge issue. Mine all have full fat as I do not like additives and things I cannot say/spell being added to the DC food,

canyou Tue 26-Jul-11 21:21:35

Actually Ragged may be right about age for the UK, it is 4 yrs here

Seona1973 Tue 26-Jul-11 22:12:20

full fat is recommended up to age 2 at which point you can switch to semi-skimmed as long as they have a good varied diet. Skimmed milk isnt recommended until age 5 as it is too low in fat/calories/fat soluble vitamins. We switched to semi-skimmed when ds turned 2 and at that point dd was 5 (didnt see the point in having 2 types of milk so we waited till ds was old enough before we changed over)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now