Talk

Advanced search

Freezing chicken stock - can I do it if made from a frozen chicken?

(7 Posts)
moragbellingham Mon 29-Nov-10 19:45:01

I was going to do a vat of stock to use at Xmas with a chicken I cooked tonight.

Trouble is, it's a chicken that I got out of the freezer. Is this OK or will I leave everyone open to a bit of food poisoning?

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 29-Nov-10 19:45:46

Assuming that you've defrosted the chicken properly before you cooked it, then cooked the chicken properly, there will be no problem with freezing any stock that you make.

SparkyUK Tue 30-Nov-10 09:49:20

i always freeze left over chicken carcasses and do a big bunch of stock when i have accumulated a few. Never had a problem with food poisoning.

witchwithallthetrimmings Tue 30-Nov-10 09:54:02

should be fine to freeze it but if you won't be able to freeze anything you make out of the stock once defrosted again.

4merlyknownasSHD Tue 30-Nov-10 16:51:30

WWATT, is that right? You sound very certain. I know you shouldn't re-freeze without cooking, but if you make a soup with the thawed stock, boiling away vor at least 10 minutes, and then re-freeze, I always thought that was OK, and have done it many times.

moragbellingham Tue 30-Nov-10 17:58:28

Hurrah!
Seeing as it was a gigantic organic chicken I didn't want to waste a single bit (at that price!)

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Tue 30-Nov-10 18:10:47

Yes, I do this every week, and am still alive so far.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: