Talk

Advanced search

Adrift - what the hell happened at the end?

(12 Posts)
tullytwo Sat 30-Jun-07 09:44:41

Just watched Adrift last night - god it was irritating but had to sit it out. Anyway we have no idea whether Dan and her were dead at the end when she was standing on the deck and you could hear the baby crying.

That boat came along and you couldnt see her but could hear sarah crying and then the boat left and she was on deck with Dan lying on the deck - so dont understand if she was alive why didnt boat man see her and if she was dead why did he leave the baby behind?

My sister says she is dead but I dont agree - help please to decipher this --aaaggghhh!

tullytwo Sat 30-Jun-07 10:06:20

bump

tullytwo Sun 01-Jul-07 15:57:52

anyone?????

mattDP Tue 02-Dec-08 15:21:06

In case anyone else comes across this ... the film is complete garbage but there seem to be three popular interpretations of the ending ...

1) The director intentionally filmed two endings and put both on so that the audience could decide for themselves how it ended.

2) It's a bad piece of film angle/cutting: the mum is alive but in shock (hence her not responding to the baby) and the young man is either dead or unconscious and the guy on the tug simply hasn't got round the yacht far enough to see them.

3) All the adults from the yacht are dead and what we see on the deck are ghosts or some sort of psychic memory of the drowned. The guy on the tug stops and rescues the baby.

There you go. I favour #1 personally since neither of the other two really make sense.

TweetleBeetle Tue 24-Mar-09 08:02:07

Dh and I watched this last night and rather enjoyed it, though I being a soppy cow could only watch it once DH had told me the baby was OK!!!!

Would love to know what the 'true' events were, have tried looking in the net and that's where I came across this - silly me, knew I should have gone to MN first.

FigmentOfYourImagination Tue 24-Mar-09 08:12:04

It was a load of crap, imo. BUT I'd got 60 mins in and couldn't really turn it over.

I was glad the stupid blonde moggle type snuffed it first though.

knicky Tue 19-Jan-10 15:38:05

Couldn't stay up to watch end on a school night ;o) (Primary taecher!) but was so engrossed up until bit where two girls and dan left... had to google to find out what happened. From all the comments about the confusing ending, I'm glad I didn't stay up! I'd never have slept for trying to figure it out! Anyway, I found this Wikipedia page filled in the story for me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenWater_2:Adrift

knicky Tue 19-Jan-10 15:43:28

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenWater_2:Adrift

knicky Tue 19-Jan-10 15:45:55

Not sure why link changes when I post it but just google 'adrift film ending wikipedia' ... Computers!!!!!

peterzav Sun 08-Jan-17 11:06:00

It is obvious what happened, the mother and the other bloke survived and came to the deck when they herd the rescue boat came to their aid.

whyohwhy000 Sun 08-Jan-17 11:10:06

One interpretation is that all 6 adults die, and the other scene is some sort of memory.

Jux Fri 24-Mar-17 23:20:05

Fell asleep half way thread ough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now