Talk

Advanced search

Great films for a near 9 year old boy

(17 Posts)
marilynmonroe Tue 30-May-17 20:05:21

My DS loves films but we feel that we are a bit of crossroads with him. He's seen most classic kids films but he seems to have lost interest in some as he says they are too babyish - i find most 12's too old for him with too much sexual content and violence.

Can anyone recommend a good film? he's not really into superheros although he loves star wars and the lego movies.

Thanks

ChoudeBruxelles Tue 30-May-17 20:08:55

Cheaper by the dozen ?

herecomesthsun Tue 30-May-17 20:14:58

My son (just turned 9) enjoyed Sing and the Batman Movie at Easter. He is also keen on the How to Tame Your Dragon films and books.

APaperMe Tue 30-May-17 20:19:33

Night at the Museum
Jumanji
Zathura
The Spiderwick Chronicles
The Chronicles Of Narnia
Alice in Wonderland
Pete's Dragon
Pan
Goosebumps
Spy Kids
Honey, I Shrunk The Kids
Ghostbusters

ErnesttheBavarian Tue 30-May-17 20:20:07

School of rock!

BossWitch Tue 30-May-17 20:22:05

The Goonies!

BikeRunSki Tue 30-May-17 20:22:42

I have a DS of similar age. Films he's enjoyed recently
Mrs Doubtfire
ET
Home Alone
Cheaper by the Dozen
What We Did on Our Holidays (indie Brit film, subtlety brilliant).
The Italian Job (the original)
All the Wimpy Kid films

APaperMe Tue 30-May-17 20:25:59

Yes, my Ds enjoyed School of Rock and Home Alone too.

marilynmonroe Tue 30-May-17 20:40:45

Some great suggestions!! Thanks keep them coming!

NotHotDogMum Tue 30-May-17 20:54:21

Very old one (my teens were reminiscing today how much they loved this film...even remembered and sang the theme tune!)

George of the jungle

Teardropexplodes Tue 30-May-17 20:58:00

Totally retro, but mine loved Clockwise recently.

APaperMe Tue 30-May-17 21:32:51

Ds also finds Furry Vengeance hilarious, I can hear him laughing from three rooms away, it's a truly awful film by most people's standards though grin

BikeRunSki Wed 31-May-17 07:35:38

The Truth About Cats and Dogs
All the Wallace and Gromit films
Other Aardmsn films

PS - The Italian Job is fun, butbs bit sweaty.

scrabble1 Wed 31-May-17 15:09:59

The BFG
Star Wars IV/V/VI
Nemo
Croods
The Incredibles
Night at the Museum
Epic
Big Hero

marilynmonroe Thu 01-Jun-17 10:06:14

for his sleepover he decided on indepedence day which he really enjoyed!

guitarguy2112 Fri 02-Jun-17 13:07:04

APaperMe Ghostbusters is a 12A - the age rating was raised from PG due to some dodgy sex references (Stantz getting a blowjob, "I want you inside me" etc.)

The 12 rating didn't exist back in the '80's when it got a PG but the sex refs. were judged to be too much for PG under current guidelines in 2011.

These will probably go over the head of an 8 y/o but be cautious - the rating was raised for a good reason.

APaperMe Fri 02-Jun-17 14:24:30

To be honest guitarguy2112 my Ds's favourites are the Austin Powers' films, which are a 15 I think and have far more sexual references than Ghostbusters, but I tend to watch films and judge whether or not I find them suitable rather than going off the rating. I don't mind him watching a bit of light hearted innuendo that probably goes right over his head anyway. Get why you mentioned it though as the OP did say no to 12s and sexual content, which is why I hadn't suggested Austin Powers amongst others grin.

Op, if he enjoyed Independence Day how about Men in Black?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now