Talk

Advanced search

Moonlight -has anyone seen it?

(14 Posts)
lucydogz Mon 27-Feb-17 11:20:19

I know the critics love it, but I've been suckered into watching rubbish films like that before. The story sounds like something I wouldn't find of interest at all. Is it really that great? Or are the Oscar judges responding to last year's criticism of the awards not being black enough?

FreeNiki Mon 27-Feb-17 20:51:19

I haven't seen it but not bothered. All the synopses I've read basically say gay guy grows up in rough area of Miami with an abusive mother.

Having read a full synopsis with spoilers it just doesn't look like anything much happens or anything that would interest me.

Manchester by the Sea won best screen play and best actor but I found it dull depressing crap with next to no plot so the hype isnt always deserved.

LouKout Mon 27-Feb-17 20:52:04

Moonlight is a wonderful film.

Slightly cheesy and heavy handed in places but the acting is stunning.

Ulysses Mon 27-Feb-17 20:54:43

Mark Kermode describes it as very sensuous and it's a perfect description. Beautiful to watch and listen to in an understated way.

Ulysses Mon 27-Feb-17 20:56:14

I also found Manchester Bybthe Sea hard going. Moonlight is completely different kind of film.

FreeNiki Mon 27-Feb-17 20:57:50

I will go and see Moonlight then.

I just didnt want another depressing film as there have been alot lately.

leccybill Mon 27-Feb-17 20:59:57

Just watched Moonlight.
Rubbish. No plot.

FreeNiki Mon 27-Feb-17 21:01:23

That's why I.didn't bother seeing it before leccy. It didnt seem to be about anything.

LemonadeWithACherry Mon 27-Feb-17 21:36:45

I was underwhelmed. Nothing happens, in fact the one event that would have added a bit of drama and emotion isn't even shown and only mentioned in passing. I found it massively irritating how the main character hardly speaks. I wanted to shout 'Just SAY SOMETHING FFS' every time the other characters speak to him and he stands there gormlessly.

jigster01 Mon 27-Feb-17 21:40:19

Yes I agree to all above ..Very disappointing...Nothing really happens ..Just a short story spread over time ..Very very surprised it won best actor and film

LemonadeWithACherry Mon 27-Feb-17 21:40:27

Oh and gay black drug dealers are not a new thing to those of us who watched The Wire (which did a much better job of the subject) wink

Laurendisorder Mon 27-Feb-17 21:40:48

I thought Moonlight was wonderful - La La Land on the other hand was drivel! Toni Erdman was lovely too - who knew a three hour German comedy could be so good. I'm off to see The Salesman next !

DrScholl Mon 27-Feb-17 21:41:43

la la land IS SHIT
so boring
Moonlight not on anywhere near here

FreeNiki Sun 19-Mar-17 04:10:34

I finally saw it. totally underwhelmed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now