Talk

Advanced search

Any 5:2 "secret weapons" I'm missing from my trolley?

(30 Posts)
GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Wed 29-Apr-15 10:21:54

I have:

Miso Soup
40kcal ice lollies for a treat
Eggs, natch
Quorn bite thingies
Loads of veg, obviously
Souper Greens soup
Warburtons Thins
Prawns
Sparkling water

Can anyone think of anything else I can arm myself with?

stripytees Wed 29-Apr-15 10:35:31

Do you mean for fast days?

Those Warburtons thins won't help - simple carbs like bread just make you more hungry and have too many calories vs. how filling they are.

I always have natural yoghurt or cottage cheese on FDs.

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Wed 29-Apr-15 10:36:55

Oh yes, got cottage cheese, thanks! The thins were to have something to put it on maybe with a bit of tuna, rice cakes better?

shumway Wed 29-Apr-15 10:40:25

Ryvita (35 cals), extra light cheesespread triangles (20 cals), options hot choc sachets (39 cals), marigold bouillon, sugar free ice pops, little dish ready meals.

BigChocFrenzy Wed 29-Apr-15 12:26:07

Marmite (1 teasp out of the jar, no bread) helps avoid headaches on FDs

Unsweetened almond milk is only about 15 cals per 100 ml, to substitute for milk in hot drinks, if you take them.

Try to avoid sweet "treats" because they often make you hungrier

Concentrate on protein and lots of veg, avoid starches.
Maybe try your tuna, cottage cheese etc with salad. Rice cakes & thins are not very nutritious; bran crackers are better if you really want a bread substitute.

happygirl87 Wed 29-Apr-15 12:33:10

Babybels blush stock cubes, I like 10 cal Jellies although they may make sweet cravings worse

happygirl87 Wed 29-Apr-15 12:33:22

Light babybels obv!

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Wed 29-Apr-15 14:13:29

How does Marmite help with headaches, out of interest?

mrswhiskers Wed 29-Apr-15 16:36:38

0% fat Greek yoghurt.
agree with others who say avoid carbs like bread as they just make you hungrier and crave more.

confusedandemployed Thu 30-Apr-15 09:04:10

Soup. Preferably homemade. My fave FD dinner is a big bowl of dhal soup made with red lentils, an onion, garlic and spices. About 360 cals for 2 big bowls. Filling and very tasty.

tactum Thu 30-Apr-15 17:06:15

homemade soup is a real winner - a portion can be as low as 50-75 calories so fill your boots.
second cott cheese
fat free greek yog - yum!

my treat discovery is sugar free jellies - hartleys are 6-9 calories per pot and feel like a desert!

BigChocFrenzy Fri 01-May-15 17:45:46

Marmite Answer:
1tsp Marmite supples salt & other minerals, also adds B vits, just 10cals.
On FDs, you drink extra water to make up for less liquid from food, so flushes more salt away than usual. Also, you will be eating much fewer carbs.
I suggested it several months ago and since then it has worked in practice for many folk on these threads.
An alternative is a tbsp of soy sauce (the larger amount is because it is not so concentrated)

MadauntofA Fri 01-May-15 20:31:43

Chicken/ ham slices, definitely eggs - 1 poached egg about 80cals keeps me going all morning. Lots of veg, courgette ribbons substitute pasta, cauliflower rice

atomich01 Wed 06-May-15 19:53:49

I swear by the 10 cal jellies, sweet treat after dinner, before bed followed by an options hot choc... thing is, some of them are actually as low as 4 cals, but they're all under 10 so are a good fall back if you really get a sweet craving smile

southeastdweller Fri 22-May-15 21:09:18

I like eating tinned sardines in brine which are about 130 cals. I like them with lots of veg and some peppers. Occasionally I have a tablespoon or two of hummus.

PavlovaPalaver Mon 15-Jun-15 12:49:52

I always have a pack of cooked beetroot on hand for fast days. Quick to prep (with a tsp of balsamic vinegar), very filling and low in cals.

Bluetonic123 Thu 16-Jul-15 17:04:55

Gherkins - only 14 calories per 100g
Shiritaki noodles - less than 10 calories per serving
I like babybel as well - I find they are good to eat just before you go to bed to stop hunger pangs keeping you awake. Even the full fat ones are only 70 cals and I find them a lot more satisfying then the light ones
Prawns
Herbal tea - I find lemon and ginger is best at staving off hunger

EElisavetaOfBelsornia Thu 16-Jul-15 17:10:45

Zero noodles. Spiralised veg instead of pasta with veggie sauce. Cauliflower rice and veggie curry. Mussels are a good low cal alternative to prawns. Low cal houmous with veg sticks - pepper and cucumber are good. Greek yoghurt with some puréed raspberries.

LemonYellowSun Thu 16-Jul-15 17:14:14

Soup is a winner.
I often have salad with a couple of thinly sliced ham and boiled egg

Cauliflower mash and cauliflower rice are great with some chilli.

Sainsburys be good to yourself sausages are only about 78 cals too. Often have couple with veg, cauliflower mash and splash of gravy.

Bluetonic123 Thu 16-Jul-15 18:52:32

Ooh also, I think it's good to have a couple of low calorie ready meals for when you are too tired to cook and might otherwise get a takeaway.

M&S do a nice salmon potato and veg meal in their balanced or you range for 330 calories and there us a prawn and wild rice salad for about 230. Their Count on Us range has a few things under 300 calories as well.

LemonYellowSun Thu 16-Jul-15 19:47:18

Blue - how do shirikati noodles fare against naked zero noodles. I couldn't eat them as too rubbery.

Bluetonic123 Fri 17-Jul-15 13:33:35

They are the same thing. Zero noodles is just the brand name but i fou go to Asian supermarkets you can get unbranded shiritaki noodles for about a third of the price of zero noodles.

They are quite rubbery but I don't mind them. I think adding these to very low calorie soups is the only reason I have been able to stick to my 500 cal days.

Breadandwine Fri 17-Jul-15 14:42:20

A couple of things in my IF armoury are:

Short circuiting a binge - before you have that well-deserved biscuit, or whatever, decide how many you can have (taking in account your TDEE, of course!), and put the rest away.

(This is the important bit!) Have a low-cal savoury bite to hand: a bit of celery, half a mushroom, or similar; I'm a vegan, so I have nutritional yeast in the cupboard. Half a teaspoon of this will do the trick. As soon as you have the savoury bite, your desire for more sugary stuff will disappear - instantly! smile

The second one is - when you've finished a meal and you think you need seconds, or a pudding of some sort - put a timer on for 20 minutes. If the desire is still there, then go ahead, but often you'll find yourself satisfied. (You've activated the satiety hormone, leptin.) This works with kids as well! smile

There are also the usual things, like using a smaller plate, putting less on your fork and eating slowly.

If you have wine with your meal, take small sips and savour every one. You may find you need less. If there is still some in the glass when you've finished eating - pour it back in the bottle!

Jenni311 Wed 19-Aug-15 10:42:13

What books should I read to get started on 5:2

cleoteacher Sun 04-Oct-15 21:51:33

How many calories are in a salad with tomatoes and balsamic vinegar? Sorry for a random question but find some foods hard to work out calories as its not typically on the packet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now