Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.
Possibly pregnant on coil? Help!?(18 Posts)
Not been feeling right for a few weeks. Took test a few weeks ago negative. Took test today- very very faint line. Wasn't with FMU but I have been pregnant 4 times before (have two kids) I never ever get a faint line unless I am upduffed.
This is supposed to be a 1 in a 1000 chance or something. Checked my strings- still in place.
I have a masters due in 9weeks, I have finally got my dream job, my two kids are 3 &1 (soon 4 &2) and although hadn't ruled out a 3rd had got rid of all the baby stuff and was leaning towards not. My husband is adamant NOT, though I haven't told him yet anyhow.
Fucky shit bollocks crap argh hell eep.
I am rabidly pro choice but it is not a decision I ever wanted to have to make for me. I don't think my family could cope with another. I'm not sure I could. I like the idea of three but not the reality probably.
Presumably if I am pregnant with a coil then I am likely to miscarry anyway thanks to the coil? I have already had one ectopic (and now no left tube) but presumably I will need checking it isn't another one (I had funny pains last night but on my left hand side not right hand side so that was odd as have no tube there!)
Any stories from other ladies who got pregnant on the coil? I was holding off on sterilisation until I was 40 and sure (I'm 32) but maybe this needs rethinking.
Will retest tomorrow with FMU and pray this was just a duff test but I have taken 100's of tests over the years- I know a faint line when I see one.
In meantime might go and try and finish the masters off! I can totes get it done in hours right so hand in is sorted.
anyone? could do with some handholding. Possibly wrong forum, thinking about it as this area is dead, but wasn't sure I could face putting it on pregnancy!
I didn't want to read and run, I have no experience of this situation but you seem like you could use a hand to hold. Hopefully somebody more helpful will be along soon.
You poor thing. There is a higher chance of an eptopic with a coil so I would try and go to the Drs today to get referred for a scan. You can then take your decisions from there.
Try not to worry - this will all be fine in the long run whatever happens.
I got pregnant when using the coil but mine had shifted position.
I think you need to go to the doctors as soon as possible so that you know for definite and can speak to you dp about whether you want to continue with the pregnancy.
Only you know the best decision for you to make.
It's really a struggle to balance academic work and children, well done for getting so far.
It must feel like the end was in site and that the job that you have been working towards was within your grasp and it will be difficult to have to rethink these plans.
get down to the docs so that you know for certain and start planning from then. You might still be worrying over nothing!
I don't have any experience in this but didn't want you to think that you're alone. As far as I'm aware it's very rare to get a false positive and more likely to be an ectopic if you have a coil. Get yourself to the docs, in the meantime we're here to hold your hand X
Rang docs before I posted but no appointments. My doc is ringing me monday lunchtime though. The test is seriously so faint that most docs would dismiss as negative (although have checked with a pal- there is a faint faint faint line). I've taken another test which didn't seem to have a line but now a weird line has appeared like a grease line rather than a pink line so now I am vaguely hopeful this is a duff batch of tests and actually the sickness and tiredness and horniness and sore boobs are all in my head or just a bug!
Having had an ectopic before I know what I need to watch out for. Don't worry will be straight to A&E if I have any concerns but at minute I can't 100% say I am pregnant and need to at least wait until I take a test with first morning wee tomorrow morning. Given a negative test about two weeks ago (which i still have as shoved it in a drawer and am using it to compare) I can't be more than 4 weeks if I am, plus the test line is so faint- I get strong lines by about 5weeks so at this stage it is a waiting game.
I'm not good at waiting!
So instead I am trying to ignore it (and the headache and nausea and spacey dizzy feeling) and finish off a chapter in my masters. I cannot miss this hand in date- it has been a year and a bit of my life- it has been hell and I want the fucker done.
I have 8weeks til hand in. I know I can't ignore this until then but fuck I hope I don't have to make a decision. Best outcome- duff tests and this is all fine and I'm not preg. 2nd best outcome- miscarriage or something due to coil. I do NOT want to make a decision. I can't make a decision. Neither option is right. FUCK.
I think as there's nothing you can do at the moment getting your head down is the best thing as it will help take the pressure off down the line What's your Masters in? (only nosy as I quite fancy doing one at some point!)
Cept my head is banging - need a lie down! But will take some painkillers and persevere.
Masters is hardest thing have ever done- don't do one- has taken me 7years to finish it via distance learning and two mat leaves- now I am so close to the end I can't not finish it! never ever again!
I've just realised wouldn't I be the MOST fertile pregnant person ever to get preggers with only one fallopian tube AND a coil in?
Therefore I can't be, I just can't be. That very very very very faint pink line is a false positive.
It must be.
Will POAS first thing tomorrow and update.
I fell pregnant with the coil in, it ended badly. I would make sure you see the dr on Monday.
Sorry to hear that Titsalinabumsquash. I was wondering the stats of viability if I am. Surely not a huge number will be viable? Google is conflicting as to whether they would remove the coil or not, but removal is most likely to lead to MC anyhow.
The mirena website helpfully says "risk of death" without saying if mine or foetus!
Hand holding here if you need it. Take your time, there is no rush to make a decision.
Sorry for not updating. So I tested again yesterday and still a faint faint line but no stronger and tested again today and no line. I've used the one step tests for years and never been able to see an "evaporation line" but some say they are a common problem with this test. So I can only assume either a batch with evap lines or maybe a very unlikely chemical pregnancy.
I will double check again in a week or so but fairly sure I am not upduffed unlike Friday where I was fairly convinced I was (the dizziness and nausea is possibly a bug going round).
Interestingly it has helped clarify I do want #3 more than I realised just not right now and prob not for another couple of years. Need to get to a coping stage with two I have first.
Thanks for all the support, I really appreciate it.
Your post has made me wonder - in these days of sensitive tests, cheap enough to rest early and frequently, is it possible that they pick up a fertilisation that is then prevented from implanting by the coil?
I think part implantation would need to happen as it is the cells that differentiate into placenta that start producing HcG so not sure that could happen if just fertilised but maybe?
But I think it entirely possible that women get pregnant on coil but it prevented from being implanted. Initally it was what made me hesitate about it as a method but a lack of other options made it only choice so I reconciled self with it. Mirena much less likely to have chemical pregs than copper coil as the hormones make cervix Inhospitable to sperm and think suppresses ovulation a bit too.
Good luck with your appointment today op - I hope you get the news that you want
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.