Talk

Advanced search

Advice on buying a flute, please!

(6 Posts)
MotherOfGirls Wed 23-Sep-09 18:04:58

My DD (aged 11) has been playing the flute for a year or so and hopes to take Grade 1 at Easter. So far we have hired a flute from her flute teacher for £20 per term. Her flute teacher now tells me the flute she is using is on it's last legs and she recommends buying one. She has a brand new Trevor James at £199, which she says is a good price as it is last year's model. She has bought it from Allflutes to sell on to a student and has given us the first option. She needs to know quickly, so she can offer it to another student if we don't want it.

I wasn't planning on spending that much right now but I have no idea whether this is the bargain she says it is. It would pay for itself in about 3 years and we would also have it to seel on if DD loses interest.

Any thoughts?

Pacific Wed 23-Sep-09 18:41:02

DH is a flute teacher. This is a reasonable price for a Trevor James but not a huge bargain. Does your DD get school lessons? If so, local authority schools usually do ex-vat prices through the school and may be a bit cheaper.

However, this model is a good flute fo the money.

MotherOfGirls Wed 23-Sep-09 18:48:53

Thanks, Pacific. The teacher comes into school but it is an independent school so I guess the ex-vat prices wouldn't be available.

Still undecided!

catinthehat2 Wed 23-Sep-09 19:01:27

I have googled for musical instruments successfully before. If you know the model, should be able to work out if £199 is the best bargain.

SleepingLion Wed 23-Sep-09 19:10:22

DS has just taken up the flute and we were able to get his on HP - 10 monthly instalments, interest free - from the local music shop. It's also a Trevor James one but was slightly dearer so it seems as if you would be getting a good deal. We are happy because we don't have to pay in one lump sum though!

MotherOfGirls Wed 23-Sep-09 20:45:46

Did a bit of research on prices and decided to go for it. Many thanks for your comments, ladies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now