Talk

Advanced search

Ukuleles

(6 Posts)
2madboys Fri 28-Nov-14 13:10:41

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about these? DS wants one for Christmas and the one he likes is plastic. Just wondering if this matters. It will be a low price one and he is a beginner although he has played a little guitar and also saxophone. Should we be looking for a wooden one instead?

Mistigri Fri 28-Nov-14 14:21:28

A proper wooden soprano ukelele is so inexpensive that I'm not sure why anyone would buy a plastic one. Wood will sound much better.

DD has one that is a notch up from the very cheapest ones, and it plays fine.

JulieMichelleRobinson Fri 28-Nov-14 21:43:35

Get a Kala or a "shark" or "dolphin" if he likes the bright colour - they're the cheapest that are class able as instruments not toys. I play a Kala brand concert ule - next size up so a bit more expensive.

Bunbaker Fri 28-Nov-14 21:48:02

DD has a Mahalo soprano ukulele and it was £25 earlier this year. She could already play the guitar a little but she has been teaching herself to play more tunes on Ukutabs

It is a joy to listen to her playing and singing.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Fri 28-Nov-14 21:54:45

Dd got a mahalo one. (Well I did but I'm crap) she took to it and now has a lovely tangle wood full size one and its soprano baby. Get wood, there's lovely coloured ones to start with.

stillenacht1 Fri 28-Nov-14 22:02:42

I teach primary ukulelesmile Mahalo are ok but a little too cheap imho, go for something a little better (around £20-25). Tuning is a problem as at the beginning the strings will detune almost as quickly as you tune them. It will need retuning several times a day for the first week or sosmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now