Talk

Advanced search

Will music lessons help my DS concentration?

(7 Posts)
MammaMo Mon 24-Sep-12 12:48:24

Hi,
My DS easily gets distracted at home when we do homework and in class at school.
His school offers a music club for violin and piano during school time or lunchtime
Is it worth signing him up to help his concentration or will it not make a difference?

BreakfastCricket Mon 24-Sep-12 13:29:59

If 'violin' and 'piano' are some of the things in life he favours then encourage him to sign himself up if you think he'll find it fun and if you think he will enjoy being around other children with similar interests.

However I wouldn't encourage him sign him up if he is only mildly interested in these activities and he'd otherwise be happy in the playground.

By its very nature a lunchtime school club will only be resourced with minimal staff so the ratio of adults:children will not be the same as his actual music lesson and there will be lots more reasons to become distracted.

You could check out the ratio of instruments to children... six fledgling piano students to one piano might mean they only 'play' for five minutes and do a lot of hanging about...

1805 Mon 24-Sep-12 15:09:17

Lessons or club?
I have been told by class teachers that disruptive children are more focused when they return to class from a 1-2-1 music lesson.
Not saying your ds is disruptive by the way - just some evidence to do with concentration/1-2-1 focused activity.
I think the success is the 1-2-1 bit more than the music side of things though.

bowerbird Tue 25-Sep-12 09:34:41

The short answer is absolutely yes! However, a lunchtime school music club will not do anything but bore and frustrate.

As 1805 mentioned - a 1-2-1 lesson is the way to go. Take some time over the choice of instrument (this could take months) and let your DC make a final choice. I'm heavily involved in music education, so if you need any further advice on this let me know.

But your instincts are bang on. Learning an instrument will improve his concentration - the evidence is overwhelming. Good luck!

MammaMo Fri 28-Sep-12 13:39:29

Thank you for all the feedback...very interesting and helpful

I enquired at the school and the music lesson will be 1-2-1 during school lesson time.
My DS is at the top of the waiting list as there are no spaces at the mo.
The music teacher teaches Piano and violin and my DS has already expressed that he prefers piano
I was secretly hoping he would say violin as much easier to keep in the house smile but he is y2 and I was told that in Y4 the whole class will be learning violin anyway.

titchy Fri 28-Sep-12 13:52:30

shock at whole class learning violin. Your local stores must run out of paracetamol during that time....

schilke Sun 30-Sep-12 20:47:05

Oh Lordy. Dd1 had whole class violin lessons when she was in Yr2. Needless to say it was a complete waste of time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now