Talk

Advanced search

David Davis leaked letter.

(4 Posts)
justnowords Wed 29-Mar-17 10:47:30

Can someone verify this for me. Is this a letter that David Davis has written himself that has been leaked. And it is him/someone in the British Government saying that should NI leave UK and rejoin Ireland then they will be accepted into the EU as part of Ireland? If I have read this correct, can I ask how Davis knows this. Seeing as UK will be out of the EU, how can he have any authority on who the EU will/will not let join?

Peregrina Wed 29-Mar-17 16:51:17

I don't know about Davis, having been out all day. There is a precedent with the reunification of Germany, so it sounds possible.

I wonder if May really wants to go down as the architect of the break up of the United Kingdom? And all to appease some Tory nutters.

Nicotina Wed 29-Mar-17 17:11:48

Surely no one thinks N Ireland joining the Republic is like the reunification of Germany.
Read up on why it really isn't.

Peregrina Wed 29-Mar-17 17:39:22

Did I say it was? Of course it isn't, but each application would be taken on its merits, and the reunification and subsequent entry of the former E Germany could be taken as one precedent. Some things would be much easier, as a former EU member, most of the laws would already have been harmonised.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now