Talk

Advanced search

Non-teflon coated pans...is pyrex ok?

(8 Posts)
Likeasow Mon 28-Jul-08 14:38:29

Just got the fear from a friend from Australia who told me hardly anyone uses non-stick over there because of the leaching chemicals.....so was googling about reading up and the non-stick have to go - so was thinking is Pyrex ok? read it had a flame retardant in it..... And is pure stainless steel 100% ok or have I missed something? the article about non-stick said that the only safe cooking surface is cast iron! makes for pretty hefty pans...grin

MrsBadger Mon 28-Jul-08 15:23:54

you can't use pyrex on the hob unless it's their special Pyroflam range

Pure stainless steel should be fine (but then again I think nonstick is fine)

Triathlete Mon 28-Jul-08 21:34:02

I use pyrex on the hob, I don't think it's the special range. I use it for scrambled eggs - cleans up really easily.

MrsBadger Tue 29-Jul-08 08:48:18

is it a saucepan or just a casserole? voices of experience...

notcitrus Fri 01-Aug-08 17:17:38

Non-stick should be fine if it's intact - I throw pans away when they start peeling, though. You could try www.badscience.net forums for an antidote to the scaremongering websites out there.

Stainless steel pans are fantastic but expensive - Polaris is a good brand. One of the few things that's cheap in Scandinavia...

Likeasow Sun 03-Aug-08 20:45:05

thanks - our one that is peeling is a Jamie Oliver expensive treat one dammit - can't bear to throw it away. nobody seems that bothered about teflon though so maybe I shouldn't worry - will look at the the bad science stuff....

iheartdusty Sat 06-Sep-08 19:56:47

Likeasow, did you find anything on Bad Science?

I am currently having a 'teflon-on-trousers' Big Worry and would be grateful for informed and balanced views.

Notquitegrownup Mon 08-Sep-08 10:52:13

I'd be interested to know too. I vaguely worry about teflon pans too, but then don't want to use aluminium, cause of the alzheimer's risk, and am too mean to buy good stainless steel - so sort of rotate my worries, and buy one of each!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now