Talk

Advanced search

Tell me where you buy your fish/seafood please!

(11 Posts)
WeAreGoingOnABearHunt Fri 03-Feb-17 17:23:38

Trying to eat more fish and seafood (prawns mostly, but other shellfish also welcome ;) but would like to eat it without breaking the bank and supporting sustainable fishing as much as possible without supporting child labour/etc... how does one do it!

We have a family of four and eat fish practically once a month due to me being fussy with where I buy it... maybe online is the way to go?!

Please help smile

DeliveredByKiki Mon 06-Feb-17 02:12:51

Monterey aquarium has a seafood watch app and website which I refer to - in on the states and seafood is labelled wii their stamp but you can also do searches for types of fish and seafood

seashores123 Mon 06-Feb-17 02:17:00

I believe marks and Spencer's is an ok high street option, they have that big sustainable fish campaign. Do make sure to avoid prawns from thailand though, as they have a full blown slave trade. Just check the packet smile

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 06-Feb-17 02:17:01

Do you have a local fishmonger? Ours will tell me when I say, "what's a better version of...". And she can tell me based on price, miles, stocks, mercury. She's a fish-nerd.

WeAreGoingOnABearHunt Mon 06-Feb-17 21:24:32

Thanks! I was buying Asian prawns thinking it was okay until I read about the slave trade of this. Put me right off and we haven't eaten prawns in a year (!)..

Will definitely check Monterey aquarium app. The only local fishmonger in our town that I know sells previously frozen fish and I wonder how fresh that is (isn't that the same as Tesco/Sainsbury's etc fish counters then?)

I'm looking at online options - e.g. King crab.co.uk , the cornish fishmonger etc... and buying in bulk and freezing but wondering how good this is in terms of nutrients after freezing after a month or 2.

DeliveredByKiki Mon 06-Feb-17 23:25:05

no idea re nutrients but if nutrients are kept intact with veg maybe it's the same for fish? Mercury is apparently becoming a bigger problem....I'm gradually educating myself on all of it but have been focussing on sustainability for now

I have a fish van come every couple of months so I freeze a lot but the quality is still loads better than supermarket fish. Would you have anything like that near you?

WeAreGoingOnABearHunt Tue 14-Feb-17 00:14:26

Unfortunately no fish can near me! Haven't seen any at all but wish there was something like that in Berkshire. I'm going to try the Cornish fishmonger website this week - had the best reviews so far!

It's worth looking into bearhunt if you haven't already. I live in Nottinghamshire so clearly nowhere near the sea but a van comes from Grimsby every few months - they take a bit of finding but might be doable.

cauliflowercheese14 Mon 20-Mar-17 21:11:04

I use Regal Fish from Grimsby. I use the 'sustainable' fish website list to select which types I buy and Regal usually have them. I buy things like halibut and hake instead of cod and haddock.

venys Mon 10-Apr-17 21:40:57

Abel and Cole do good fish. Although I do find they have bones in the fillets so no good with my young kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now