Talk

Advanced search

Anyone stopped being a teacher and done something else?

(7 Posts)
cathcat Wed 02-Sep-09 00:30:14

I have a primary education degree. What else could I do that would not involve years of retraining?

YodaIAmNot Wed 02-Sep-09 01:20:08

I did - but have now just got myself a new job in a school hmm grin after 14 yrs away from schools lol
Worked in autism services - so not that different from education in some ways
Also worked on the local community learning disabilities team for a while.

What are your interests?

YodaIAmNot Wed 02-Sep-09 01:23:07

btw, when I was escaping leaving teaching, I read a fantastic book entitled "what can teachers do except teach" - now a bit old perhaps but here anyway.

RobynLou Wed 02-Sep-09 01:50:39

both my parents were originally history teachers, they ended up as the head of a language school and a self employed gardener...

cathcat Wed 02-Sep-09 19:48:10

Thank you for your replies. I think changing schools would be the best thing actually, although I like my school, I think it is not the best place for me anymore. Unfortunately though every post that comes up attracts over a hundred applications apparently.

Katisha Wed 02-Sep-09 19:49:56

Yes but it took a long time to get established in the second career, which is meeja.

Hulababy Wed 02-Sep-09 19:54:55

I did. I was a secondary school ICT teacher for 10 years.

I left when DD was a couple of years old for various reasons.

I went to work in prison education, where I worked as an Information, Advice and Guidance worker for nearly 3 years. I did some additional training during this time in IAG.

Then this Christmas I decided to stop doing that too and have been working as a primary school senior teaching assistant part time. lvoe it. I get to do lot of fun stuff with pupils, keep my hand in on the education side of things, still get some responsibilities regards planning and delivery - but it is pretty muh stress free, and little work outside of school time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now