Talk

Advanced search

Myers - Briggs: The path to enlightenment or a load of old tosh?

(12 Posts)
MadBadandWieldingAnAxe Wed 15-Oct-08 09:42:37

Was 'done' recently and my assessment seems to have a lot of truth in it but part of me is wondering whether it's like a horoscope and I could find something plausibly like me in any of the 16 'types'.

Any other views or experiences?

Anna8888 Wed 15-Oct-08 09:46:23

I think that it useful but needs to be taken with a pinch of salt wink.

lisasimpson Wed 15-Oct-08 09:47:35

well mine was dead accurate by the way - have done it twice over a number of years and come out exactly the same.

Eve Wed 15-Oct-08 09:53:10

Have you seen the myers briggs prayer.

Sums you up in a few words... and mine is so accurate...

[[http://www.bouldertherapist.com/html/humor/MentalHealthHumor/prayermyersbriggs.html }}

Mine is

God help me to consider people's feelings, even if most of them ARE hypersensitive.

Eve Wed 15-Oct-08 09:53:43

www.bouldertherapist.com/html/humor/MentalHealthHumor/prayermyersbriggs.html

even!!

DonDons Wed 15-Oct-08 09:54:58

never had much respect for myers briggs but the insights colours test is fabulous

MadBadandWieldingAnAxe Wed 15-Oct-08 09:55:40

I'm giggling at the prayers.

KatyMac Wed 15-Oct-08 10:01:25

i like it & think it's fairly good though I agree you move around over time

I like belbin more & find that very useful - I particularly like the way you change your type depending upon the others in your team/group

squiffy Wed 15-Oct-08 12:08:21

Like all of this stuff, when you hold down the contextual factors they are pretty good I think..... but the problem is that in real life you cannot hold down the contextual factors, so limited practical application

Saying that, I love taking the time out to do this stuff with collegues because that task in itself can be good for morale and helping people appreciate each others' strengths/weaknesses maybe a bit better

fridayschild Wed 15-Oct-08 13:43:06

Loved the prayers! I think Myers Briggs is quite useful, but my sister absolutely swears by it. She says once she has worked out someone's type she knows exactly how to handle them.

As a firm we have gone off Myers Briggs and are big on 360 appraisals instead.

Saz36 Wed 15-Oct-08 19:05:20

liking the prayers ! I have done it a few times and it has always come out the same for me and is very true to life. I have found it most useful in teams where you get to find out what everyone else is and in my case realise how to handle difficult people - especially bosses !

BetsyBoop Wed 15-Oct-08 19:42:59

lovin' the prayers

mine is

INTJ: Lord keep me open to others' ideas, WRONG though they may be.

So true, so ME! (ask my poor DH!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: