when to hand in notice - timing problem

(13 Posts)
mehimthem Sun 04-Feb-18 22:37:31

I think I'm overthinking a simple problem but had an interview last week & was told I'm one of two being considered for a new job & will be advised one day early this week. So 50% / 50% chance I know but am still hopeful ... So my current employer & our team leader (2 separate people) are away at conference overseas from tomorrow until next Tuesday. I do have to provide 4 weeks notice in this current job; so is it impolite/unprofessional to email them my resignation - still meet with them obviously on their return - or do I wait this extra week to meet them & hand in my notice personally.
First world problem I know but having to give 4 weeks notice could mean more inconvenience to the new job IF of course I get it.
See what I mean by overthinking, lol smile

OP’s posts: |
ceeveebee Sun 04-Feb-18 22:44:26

In your situation I would try to give one of them a call, if they don’t return then send an email copy of resignation letter and speak when they get back. Good luck!

mehimthem Mon 05-Feb-18 07:12:14

thanks ceevee, good idea

OP’s posts: |
CrazyDuchess Mon 05-Feb-18 07:25:54

Good luck! But shouldn't you wait until you have a contract in hand or is it an internal Move?

AlbertaSimmons Mon 05-Feb-18 07:28:00

Don’t say anything until you have a written offer in your hand, unless it doesn’t matter and you will leave your current job anyway.

BikeRunSki Mon 05-Feb-18 07:37:33

Wait until you have the wtitttn offer. Nothing is set in stone until then. If you have to then email/phone your managers whilst they are abroad, so be it. They are still working.

Slartybartfast Mon 05-Feb-18 07:57:06

wait until you have it confirmed in writing. they will understand you need to give notice.

WTFIsThisVirus Mon 05-Feb-18 08:05:10

Email them and HR. As long as HR have it, I wouldn't worry. Notice does not have to be given to your manager, it has to be given to the organisation.

PaperdollCartoon Mon 05-Feb-18 08:09:23

Another saying wait until you have the offer in writing, this could be not until next Tuesday anyway even if you get the job today. Our notice should be given from when you have the contract.

PaperdollCartoon Mon 05-Feb-18 08:09:40


grumpy4squash Mon 05-Feb-18 08:10:57

Remember that your new employer will expect you to have a notice period - it's completely standard - and that 4 weeks is actually quite short!
I think you are right about speaking face to face to hand in your notice, it's a lot better than an email.

ceeveebee Tue 06-Feb-18 19:03:31

Oh yes sorry I assumed that you wouldn’t be doing anything until the offer had come in writing

PaperdollCartoon Wed 07-Feb-18 08:24:35

Have you heard back OP?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in