Talk

Advanced search

Permanent dull job v interesting fixed term. WWYD?

(11 Posts)
Lagoonablue Tue 07-Jul-15 06:10:34

I am in a steady job, not bad pay, pension. I have been there a long time and would get a decent redundancy payout if there are further cuts. ( In public sector and we are shrinking. I expect redundancy at some point). I am 51 and coasting, was going to just wind down, hope to get to 55 and get redundancy plus my pension. Then maybe do something part time.

However saw my dream job recently. Applied, didn't get it but they offered me a similar role but only FTC for 2 years.

I need to make a decision!

Option A - stay where I am, be bored, coast towards redundancy at some point. Plus points is flexible hours and short commute.

Option B - take the risk and take the job. It's where I always wanted to work . Negatives would be less flexible hours but more holiday leave. Also though I would forfeit my current potential large redundancy package I would earn that amount in the 2 years as the salary is considerably more. My pension would transfer.

So WWYD?

flowery Tue 07-Jul-15 06:13:21

I'd definitely do B. Surely 51 is way too young to be winding down and coasting where there is a dream job to be done?

CamelHump Tue 07-Jul-15 06:16:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CamelHump Tue 07-Jul-15 06:16:39

Lagoonablue Tue 07-Jul-15 06:19:45

Thanks for quick responses early birds! I am moving towards B but am naturally risk averse! So it's tough for me!

CamelHump Tue 07-Jul-15 06:54:33

arnieschwartzsnogger Tue 07-Jul-15 22:55:00

B!

51 is too early to be winding down. You sound old before your time...

Lagoonablue Wed 08-Jul-15 06:44:18

ha! I AM old before my time.....seriously though I have always been worried about having a steady job. DH has always had unstable employment and I have been the main wage earner.

Thanks all. I have decided on B. Live dangerously'

MargoReadbetter Wed 08-Jul-15 06:49:38

Good luck!

CamelHump Wed 08-Jul-15 07:15:37

arnieschwartzsnogger Wed 08-Jul-15 20:12:29

There is no such thing as a stable job these days even if it is permanent.

What's the worst that can happen, you finish at the end of the two years? Just go and find another contract....

Best of luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now