Advanced search

flowery and others please

(10 Posts)
newlifebegins Sat 17-Jan-15 22:05:48

my DH has increasingly had more and more responsibilities. He asked his line manager whether the title of the job coudl be changed and whether they coudl put him on a higher pay scale... The line manager said that it needs to be more formal. Would it be a good idea to write a letter and to ask for 1. ???? 2????? Not sure how to phrase it 1. reevaluating job descritpion? title? pay scale? seems to be a lot to ask for in one letter? please share your thoughts thanks.

flowery Sun 18-Jan-15 15:45:17

Does he have a job description? Is there a formal pay structure with scales and classifications of jobs?

newlifebegins Sun 18-Jan-15 22:02:34

has job descrption but the.jib changed since the starting. there is scale progression, national scale, council job. but no classification which job within council would bring him to a next level ...

MrsKranky Sun 18-Jan-15 22:10:41

We have a formal job evaluation board that, well, re-evaluate job roles. It's a formal process where the post holder will set out why they think it should be reevaluated, their manager endorses it, and the bias review. It's not always a positive outcome though. Maybe his manager or HR could help inform him on what the 'formal' process is?

cheerup Mon 19-Jan-15 07:06:27

He needs to request job re-evaluation. However, given current state of LA budgets lots of people are doing more than previously and his manager may have to take on any 'over and above' tasks themself or reassign them to staff already on higher grades rather than endorsing the JE request. If your DH is benefitting by gaining experience of higher graded tasks this may not be the outcome he wants.

Preciousbane Mon 19-Jan-15 07:50:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

titchy Mon 19-Jan-15 07:57:50

Well I'd fire off a quick email to HR, ccing his line manager, saying that his jd had changed, attaching copy of revised one - make sure his manager agrees the new jd first, then asking HR for a formal evaluation of the new one.

newlifebegins Mon 19-Jan-15 08:13:51

yes he is in the union...he informally spoke to line manager who said it is nit an easy task to change grading...but did not say what the next step is...

Preciousbane Mon 19-Jan-15 09:26:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SkyHighWhy Mon 19-Jan-15 22:57:06

Usually a regrading requires a demonstration of 'additional responsibilities'. You say your DH does have increased responsibilities. Can he detail these? Who used to do them - did the person leave through retirement / resignation / redundancy? Was there a restructuring that brought something new into his remit?

Any regrading case is likely to have to go through a formal process. In our place, HR sanity check the applications before they go to a panel. If the panel decides not to support the application, you cannot apply for a regrading again for 2 years. That's why it's important to check the organisation's regrading procedure and policy. HR or his union will be able to help.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: