Talk

Advanced search

Needing a new career - thinking of estate agency - anyone with an opinion?

(8 Posts)
Somethingtodo Wed 31-Dec-14 10:45:35

Left a v Sr job (Global Communications Director) with big blue chip ... wnat to do something I am passionate about - love property - love meeting people - so thought EA might be my bag? No idea what the career structure, renumeration etc is like - so would like to hear from others ....

iamthenewgirl Wed 31-Dec-14 21:17:37

Not very well paid in comparison to what you've been doing.

Are you good at dealing with shouty people? Some people's emotions run very high when it comes to buying and selling houses.

Other than that it would be a good job although probably quite a bit more stressful than you'd think.

Somethingtodo Wed 31-Dec-14 23:48:58

Thx iam - have 4 teens so can absorb the body shocks....did not realize that shouty emotional hysterics went on!

Realise it will be a significant pay cut but ready for that. Do you know anything about the career structure - is it possible to go without EA experience but with transferrable skills at a higher level or will I have to work my ay up from the shop floor as it were?

cruikshank Wed 31-Dec-14 23:52:40

You have to wear shiny suits and drive a hair-dryer and everyone hates you because you rip them off.

Also, it helps if you're a wanker. Are you a wanker?

iamthenewgirl Thu 01-Jan-15 00:09:04

I'm not an estate agent but do have a friend who worked in an estate agents as an admin. I think the negotiators were under quite a lot of pressure to hit their targets. Their basic salaries were pretty rubbish. She thought a little part time admin job in an estate agents would be a doddle....

I can't imagine there is a career structure is there? Negotiator then Branch Manager?

Well, I don't get stressy but I know several friends/family/colleagues who have chucked their toys out of the pram at the estate agent when close to exchange. Estate agents probably do a lot of work behind the scenes but don't command an awful lot of respect. I think you'd need to be prepared for that.

Somethingtodo Thu 01-Jan-15 00:20:36

Yes of course I am a wanker - HNY!

LadyStark Thu 01-Jan-15 00:52:53

I don't know how you get into it but what about being a property consultant instead? You're engaged by the buyer not the seller, to find a dream house, bit like Kirstie and Phil!

I know someone who used one in London and they're becoming more and more popular. Possible they'd appreciate your transferable skills more than a high street estate agency.

Somethingtodo Thu 01-Jan-15 12:56:26

That is a fantastic idea!!! Thanks LadyStark - I will look into that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now