Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I have a question regarding holiday entitlement

(7 Posts)
notmydog Tue 08-Jan-13 11:33:31

I am working for a South African company. I'll be moving back to the UK later this year. The plan is for me to continue to work for them, as they will be opening a UK office.

I'm currenlty working 5 days / 40 hours per week and will continue to do so.

At the moment in terms of South African labour law, I am only entitled to 15 working days paid holiday per year (21 consecutive days, incl. weekends).

When I move to the UK I will be entitled to 28 days paid holiday per year.
My question is this: Are the 28 days calculated as consecutive days like in South Africa (and therefore include weekends)? In other words, do I count the Saturdays and Sundays in between or only the 5 working days per week?

Advice much appreciated. smile

prh47bridge Tue 08-Jan-13 11:50:08

Your entitlement in the UK applies to working days. So if you take a week off that is 5 days.

notmydog Tue 08-Jan-13 13:24:39

Thanks prh47bridge!

In other words, if I take 2 weeks' leave, it would be 10 days and not 12?
I don't think my boss is going to be happy... hmm He will just have to deal with it!

prh47bridge Tue 08-Jan-13 13:25:05

That is correct.

flowerytaleofNewYork Tue 08-Jan-13 15:18:29

If they are opening a UK office your boss needs to take advice on UK employment law more generally, as is it likely that there are many other additional/different obligations, not just a bit more holiday.

Ilisten2theradio Tue 08-Jan-13 15:32:35

Also the 28 days can if the employer so chooses, include bank holidays, so in that case you would get 20 days plus bank holidays.

But I second the opinion about getting advice over other employment law obligations.

notmydog Tue 08-Jan-13 18:11:48

Thanks. Yes, I think he will be working through a solicitor in London.

I'm very lucky to be able to return home with a ready made job. I guess if it doesn't work out I'll start looking out for something else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now