Talk

Advanced search

Single mum - what am I entitled too??

(8 Posts)
tonksy83 Thu 04-Aug-11 20:23:17

Hello everyone!

I am working as a civil servant and qualify for 6 mths on maternity full pay which is fantastic news. Then take a further 6 weeks on statutory maternity pay. I am full time at the mo, but plan to return to only 16 hours per week, to receive full benefits, since I am single. Can anyone explain what I am entitled too....for example working tax credit? Child benefits etc??

I have been on entitledto.com and direct gov....but have ended up even more confused.

Any help would be lovely.

I am currently 22 week pregnant and although its early, I wouldn’t mind feeling a little more organised as its been stressful already doing all this alone.

smile

lachesis Thu 04-Aug-11 20:26:25

Depending on your income, Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit and child benefit. If you're a renter, you may be entitled to housing benefit.

caramelwaffle Thu 04-Aug-11 22:10:20

In addition to the above;

Council Tax Benefit (means tested)
Free Prescriptions (if you earn below a certain threshold)

Grants towards insulating your home/repairing, or replacing your boiler (if homeowner)

Grants towards Disability adaptions on your home (if qualifying)

Takeresponsibility Thu 04-Aug-11 23:33:45

Have you actually checked that you will be allowed to go P/T. some departments have cut so deeply to meet the Govt's austerity measures that part time requests are being "considered" but then refused.

Grevling Fri 05-Aug-11 08:08:14

Agree with Takeresponsibility.....step one is to get the PT working agreed.

magicmummy1 Fri 05-Aug-11 14:29:20

Also, check if you would have to pay back the enhanced maternity pay if you don't go back FT.

allthefires Sun 07-Aug-11 12:55:27

Hi we have spoken before about carers break. Will pm you some advise about claiming benefits before you receive your first payment of maternity pay.

Will prob be tomorrow now. Do you know what date in month you are planning on leaving? Make it beginning of a month if possible. So much more beneficial!

allthefires Sun 07-Aug-11 12:56:31

Ps it's additional 13wks on smp- bonus.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now