Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Drunk dad falling

(11 Posts)
TeaR0se Fri 17-Nov-17 20:43:55

Dad aged 80, deep pin denial, so drunk now he gets beyond deranged and goes a-wandering in dead of night. Mum aged 80 wit MS can't pick him up as dead weight - neither can I. Her doc says stress is killing her.

This week's highlights: Dad fell into the bath at 3am, no one could get him out - 36 hours after my brother did an intervention.

We finally got him to a a proper shrink who said not Alzheimers, alcoholism & the rest.

Medical solution is NHS-approved 'watchful waiting'...until he falls down the stairs, presumably. any advice, please, we are desperate.

picklemepopcorn Fri 17-Nov-17 20:54:29

Sorry, just flowers.
A nurse yesterday was telling me how difficult it is to put in provision when it is unwanted.

MrsGrindah Fri 17-Nov-17 21:02:29

No advice OP,but I just wanted to say I will be in your shoes soon I know. Except my Dad is on his own and I dread to think about what might happen.Would he wear an alarm ? Long shot I know

TeaR0se Fri 17-Nov-17 21:29:30

Thank you both so much. The alarm idea is genius I think.

picklemepopcorn Sat 18-Nov-17 06:53:55

There is a monitored alarm triggered by the person falling. It telephones people on a list. They need to be able to come out, though.

thesandwich Mon 20-Nov-17 21:00:51

Do they have a Keysafe? Has an occ therapist been involved to assess their house? I really feel for you.

Orchardgreen Mon 20-Nov-17 21:13:13

A company called Argentia does an alarm that automatically triggers when the patient falls. You need to provide two contacts who could come out, but if they can't, then emergency services are contacted.

shakeyourcaboose Mon 20-Nov-17 21:16:42

Our local social work dep't offer this service- called falls detector, is from our telecare team. Could you have a look on council website for adult services telecare team?

Orchardgreen Mon 20-Nov-17 21:20:22

If your local council don't offer t, it's about £26 per month. Worth it for a good nights sleep for yourself.

helpfulperson Mon 20-Nov-17 21:44:01

even if he won't wear an alarm, get your mum one so she can call for assistance with him easily when she needs it.

Have you had a social work assessment of your mothers needs? Sounds like she may be entitled to help for herself and if not is also entitled to a carers assessment. I'm not sure how it works if your Dad won't accept help for him but its worth a try.

retirednow Tue 28-Nov-17 23:14:05

What did his doctor diagnose? I think you need to tell gp that mum cannot manage and both of them need a social services referral.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: