Talk

Advanced search
Affected by Dementia? We have a new Talk topic specifically for Dementia, please do pop over and take a look

Visit the Dementia Talk topic

Seeking social network for lonely MIL in Marylebone area, London

(7 Posts)
sweetcharity Wed 08-Jan-14 11:08:48

Thought I would repost with new subject title as last one was very uninspiring!
Anyone out there with elderly parents willing to make new friends?

My 86 year old MIL lives in NW1 and would dearly love to meet like-minded people. She is intelligent (ex history teacher), into philosophy, Shakespeare and enjoys political debates. Does anyone know of any book clubs, social groups, friendly relatives (!) who she could meet up with for tea, chats, short walks, company.......!

whataboutbob Wed 08-Jan-14 13:39:10

Hi I do not know of such a group but I would warn you against those "school of philosophy" (or some such name) adds you see in the tube. It is a cult which is potentially financially exploitative (that happened to my aunt) they are based in Marylebone.

offblackeggshell Wed 08-Jan-14 13:45:35

How about the WI? I just checked their website, and there is a branch in N1. or might that be too far for her to travel?

CocktailQueen Wed 22-Jan-14 10:52:58

My MIl is in Wimbledon and the council run cafes and various clubs for elderly people, some offering transport to get there and back. Day trips, talks, etc - google and see if Marylebone does one. There is also a befriending service in some areas for elderly people without dementia.

sweetcharity Wed 22-Jan-14 16:03:08

Thanks for this. I think the only thing Westminster Council does is the befriending service!

CocktailQueen Thu 23-Jan-14 09:37:09

Would that be worthwhile? Sounds like your MIL is still very much on the ball.

OldBeanbagz Thu 06-Feb-14 14:04:52

Have you looked into the U3A? My MIL goes to quite a lot of talks and on trips with her local group.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now