Advanced search

My mum's a classroom assistant, a learning support assistant, a teaching assistant and now an Inclusion assistant

(11 Posts)
beatie Fri 06-May-05 09:53:12

It just gets ridiculous. My mum has her NNEB and chose to work as a classroom assistant. She has always worked with the Reception class. She is not assigned to one particular pupil or group of pupils. She, and the other 2 assistants, rotate groups with the teacher and they all play a part in assisting the children with an activity.

A few years ago this county council decided they would be called Teaching Assistants. This is the most fitting description for my mum's job. She assists the teacher. Yesterday she told me that all the Teaching Assistants are to be called Inclusion Assistants - so highlight the fact that they are helping to include 'all pupils'

Do you think this gets complicated for the parents too? I don't suppose it matters as the media will continue to use the term Classroom Assistant.

Not a very interesting post really but I just wanted to share this. It sort of makes me laugh and sigh at the same time.

dinosaur Fri 06-May-05 10:04:03

What's in a name, eh? I don't like Inclusion Assistant much - bet she doesn't either. I think that Teaching Assistant is the best of the bunch. The other names all kind of devalue what the person does, imo.

JoolsToo Fri 06-May-05 10:08:42

what's sad is that it will have cost a stupid amount of money to change the name.

kerfuffle Fri 06-May-05 10:11:29

I agree. It does sound a lovely job though. Do you have to be an NNEB to be a classrom/teaching/inclusion assistant? How do you go about becoming one? Can you work part time? Sorry to hijack your thread .

Goldfish Fri 06-May-05 19:21:45

We are still called teaching assistants where I work. I have been doing it for 5 years and have been called a classroom assistant and an LSA or learning support assistant.

Yes, you can work part time Kerfuffle. I do 20 hours a week, through choice as I like having some afternoons off.

Wallace Fri 06-May-05 21:52:50

I don't think you need any formal qualifications kerfuffle.

I am doing voluntary work as a Learning Support Assistant at a school for children with Special Needs. It is very rewarding and challenging. I do one day a week, and am usually in a different class so lots of variety!

kerfuffle Sun 08-May-05 08:02:07

Thanks for the advice

ssd Sun 08-May-05 08:41:34

What's the best way to get a job as a teachers assistant (in Scotland)? It sounds great!

Gillian76 Sun 08-May-05 08:46:40

ssd - jobs will be advertised on the council websites up here. There is a qualification you can do, but I don't think it's necessary. HTH

ssd Sun 08-May-05 11:16:05

Thanks Gillian!

beatie Wed 11-May-05 10:45:41

kerfuffle - Oops, sorry I did not reply to your question. A lot of the Teaching Assistants don't start off with qualifications. Some start studying for NVQs once they are in the job. My mum's NNEB helps the teacher keep her in the Reception class, since she has specifically done Early Years, but that's her only advantage over others.

My mum works 25 hours per week.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: